Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drum machine?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Growler, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    Anybody use a PC based drum machine? If so what type?

-Growler

2. xXMunchXx

xXMunchXx

Jan 16, 2005
    drum machines are stupid..... why would u want to replace a human with emotion on drums for a machine. That just shows that your highly lacking creativity.

FIND A BAND BOY!

3. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    For the longest time I used FruityLoops (or FLStudio as it's now called). Easy step sequencer, import your own sounds if you want, etc. Nowadays I've moved on to Battery and triggering it with my sequencer, but FL's still good and the basic versions of it (without audio recording and a bunch of plugins and other extras) are relatively inexpensive (and you can try out a demo version). There are freeware drum machines floating around and I've tried a lot of them, but they all left me really wanting.

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Munch, I suggest you find better adjectives if you plan on your stay at TB being long.

5. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    where are these freeware drum machines? i'd like to use one

6. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    look around www.drumsynth.com

"free drum machine" turns up quite a few hits in Google. there are lots of programs to try.

I am with Kurt, i use Battery 2. There is also Drums From Hell and plenty of other brands that work very well.

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Munch, there are lots of "valid" reasons to use a drum machine:

1. Can't find a drummer because you live 50 miles from anybody.
    2. Can't find one you can get along with.
    3. Can't find one that wants to play your style of music.
    4. You just want something to practice to.
    5. It allows you to practice quietly in an apartment or any place noise is a problem.
    6. You can use it to convey an idea to your drummer.
    Etc, etc, etc...

BTW, having a "human" drummer can be a problem unto itself sometimes. :D

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Exactly. I mean, at least on a drum machine you only have to punch in what you want once!

9. Drum machines never flake, never rush or drag, don't have attitudes and can never hit on your girlfriend.

10. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001

Not to mention: drink all your beer and back into your truck. LOL

11. I use Hammerhead on my computer. It's nice and simple without really missing anything essential. There's no sequencer though so any arranging has to be done in some editing program(I used acid).
    I was in a band with a drum machine and we used hammerhead pretty effectivly. I honestly don't see why one shouldn't use a drum machine in certain situations as it adds a different layer to the sound. Plus, the break will happen at the exact moment you expect it to.

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    New guy, huh?:eyebrow:

13. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    My teacher uses Apple's Garageband during class, but I'm a PC user so I was just looking for something to play along with at home so I can practice my timing.

-Growler

14. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001

if you just want to do loops for a low price then check out cakewalk's Kintic or the stripped down version of sony's Acid.

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Acid is a REALLY fun toy. Plus, you can go on eBay and buy whole CDs of loops that you can then use in Acid. My school has it and one of theachers for the program I was in bought two CDs of loops...we could've done JUST Acid all semester, and we wouldn't have run out of things to do.

16. xXMunchXx

xXMunchXx

Jan 16, 2005
    ya i understand what you mean now and i definantly agree. I was in a bad mood. Anyways I saw a band a while ago with a keboard, guitar, and bass, their style could only reach a certain limit with means of crashing in with good chorus's because the drumming was coming from the keyboard. about 2 months later they came back to the same place with a drummer they blew my mind with intesity! I really hate hearing/seeing something artificial on stage Like a keyboard beat.

all im trying to say is that im sry im an ass for saying that plz forgive me and my bad grammer.

yess i am a noob bassist. yes i am a noob at life so dont flame me.