Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drum Machines

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by tplyons, Jul 9, 2003.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What's the easiest, cheapest drum machine out there to use? I'm kinda attracted to the old-school Yamaha RX11 and RX15's, but are there any other drum machines out there that are similar in functionality? I'm looking for something solid and really easy to use, find on ebay and pay less than $75.

2. I just sold my RX15 for 50 bucks!

I have an SR16 and it's much easier and sounds hella better than the Yamaha. Find one used for just over 100 - total standard.

3. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Yeah Man, If you can find and Alesis HR16, you will be doing good. I have had one for years. I have a digital 10 track with a built in drum machine that I still can't use easily. If I want to use a drum kit off of the 10 track, I program my parts on the much easier to use HR16 and midi them up so the HR16 runs the 10 track. The HR16's samples are better than the the older Yamaha's. The RX11, and RX15's cymbals for example have a fast decay that makes them sound unnatural.The Hr16's cymbals decay slowly like a real cymbal. Little things like this add to the realism.

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    If you have a computer there is some really good software out there. Fruity Loops works well.

5. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I currently have an Alesis SR-16 and I like it pretty well. My fave, though, was my old Boss Dr. Rhythm 550. That was a damn fine drum machine. You could actually make it "swing" and play a little loose. It took a crap and died on me. I miss it, but the Alesis is a fair substitute and available cheap.

6. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I currently have an Alesis SR-16 and I like it pretty well.

I just checked out the profile on the SR16. It is a nice upgrade from the HR16. It looks a little smaller and a little more high tech. You can buy them new. The old HR16 may be difficult to come by.

7. I have an HR16. Here's the problem: all of the memory is maintained by a 3.5 volt battery soldered to the PC board. After almost 15 years, battery is dead. So if I unplug machine, all the patterns go. I've not had much luck finding a similar battery, the one I got and soldered in was also dead....

I believe the SR16 uses a 3 volt replaceable battery instead of 3.5

So, in other words, careful buying a HR16.

If anybody knows more about this problem, please post a response.

8. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I have an HR16. Here's the problem: all of the memory is maintained by a 3.5 volt battery soldered to the PC board. After almost 15 years, battery is dead. So if I unplug machine, all the patterns go. I've not had much luck finding a similar battery, the one I got and soldered in was also dead....

Wow! I didn't know that. I guess time is ticking away for me. Can you still us it as long as you keep constant power to it?

9. Yep, it still works. Just if I unplug it, poof!!

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Alesis SR 16 has 4 output channels. Very useful for home studio as you can punch up the kick 'n' snare, apply a different reverb or flange to cymbals, etc. Boss/Roland DR-550 MKII is one of the best sounding, easiets to use. A classic. DR-5 is not generally found below $100 but, has 4 track sequencer and while it is not the easiest to program is a very useful tool once you get it down.

I have used both the Boss / Roland machines with good results. I normally run them through a compressor to punch them up a bit before the channel strip.

Haven't personally used the Alesis but some of the guys at the Tascam 788 forum swear by it.

I use Sonic Foundry's Acid for the most part these days.

Hope that's helpful.