Drum n bass FX

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by inzeenir, May 26, 2004.

1. inzeenir

Apr 10, 2004
    What would be the best effects to get the most wicked sound? Like very deep bass or very harsh distortion? And synths with distortion?
  2. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Can you clarify your post please, I am having trouble deciphering what you want. Do you want an effect that boosts the bass and adds distortion and an effect that adds synth with distortion?
  3. inzeenir

Apr 10, 2004
    I need ideas what to buy... everything to make a wicked sound! Like a crazy distortion or filter or wah.. to make the most brutal sound!
  4. wicked sound eh?
    well, it sounds like you want your bass to sound like the bass on drum-n-bass songs, and you want some effects to make it sound that way...well, for distortion, i'd recommend the boss odb-3, although many here will argue that. i'd also get a chorus pedal to fatten up your sound...i know this isn't an effect, but i personally i think equipment is an important factor too...I'd look for a good cabinet like accugroove or something, then get a good amp that can boost the lows without getting muddy.
    as far as synths go, i really don't know much about which one sounds like what. i hear moog makes some really good sounding ones, but if they are too expensive, than boss and digitech make affordable ones, maybe someone else can help me out with talking about synths....

good luck,
  5. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Hey man- Welcome. Search on filters, deep impact, dodfx25b,digitechsynthwah. mutronIII,
    This link is a good place to start looking.
  6. inzeenir

Apr 10, 2004
  7. Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Then add... two big muffs at the end of the chain. That'd give you crazy fuzz I suppose. Has anyone actually tried that?

Also, give the electro harmonix bass synth a good looking at.
  8. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
  9. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Digitech X-series synth wah is also a blast to play with.
  10. You would be well suited to look into sub-harmonic generators, like a DBX120 or something along those lines, and also into cool looping type delays that you can build sound-on-sound in... and different type of modulation effects like choruses and flangers & phasers, and use them with distortion, mix em up, come up with new tones, experiment.

No one here can hear the sounds in your head. So go to GC or something, explain your intent, and tell them you want to chain stuff together... go at an off time when the traffic in the store is at a minimum, so they'll be more apt to do it.

Drum n Bass isn't all distortion or subharmonics. So do out and experient, ad nauseum. Also check out ring modulators. They get wierd boingy chirpy oscillating type noises too, ala Squarepusher... the key is knowing the ins outs and thrus of all your effects, and then exploiting them. But don't go into this with the sole intent of being an innovator, because sorry, if it's inherently possible, it's already been done.

Work on your "voice". Get to know it and realize half the fun is the discovery.
  11. Electro Harmonix bass micro synth is also a GREAT pedal, if you can find a good one.

You want harsh, burping fuzz? A Maestro Brassmaster is your cup o tea.