Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drum 'n bass on acoustic drumkit

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dudemeister, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Hi,
    I'm interested in finding som good jungle/drum 'n bass played with an acoustic drumkit. I found a couple of videoclips with JoJo Mayer on drummerworld.com and was really impressed with the clip where he plays with his band NERVE. I especially liked the part after the solo where the bass comes in and they fall back into the jungle-groove.

Here is the link http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/JOJO_Mayer.html

Does anybody have any recommendations of similar sounding music?

Thanks!

By the way, check out "Video 1" further down on the page where he shows the Buddy Rich trick. It's quite cool.

2. Check out The Bad Plus' version of Aphex Twin's Flim. You can find it at Napster and equivalents. Great drumming, played live.

I'm also listening to emjazz's group Choose to Find whose track "The Stars Surrender" features some really excellent drumming at the beginning.

LTJ Bukem and pretty much anything on the Good Lookin'/Lookin' Good record labels has nice, jazzy Drum and Bass. LTJ Bukem has done the "Logical Progression" and "Earth" series CD's.

Mel Gaynor played drums for some tracks on Goldie's albums. These are pretty hardcore Drum and Bass though.

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Awesome, Jojo Mayer is one baaad mother****er

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Check out Jo Jo Mayer on the Screaming Headless Torsos' debut album.

Zach Danzinger is another Drum 'n' Bass guy using acoustic cans.

...how 'bout Jungle Funk with William Calhoun & Doug Wimbish?

5. Also check out Uberjam - John Scofield.

6. Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

How could i forget Überjam!? I haven't listened to it for a couple of months now. Great record.