Drum 'n' Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vorago, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    So, this is the story. This holiday, I might have an audition with a DJ and a drummer who are looking for a bassplayer to join their DnB project. The drummer is a friend of mine, and the DJ runs the shop where I buy my (electronic) music. Are there any bassplayers here involved in DnB ? I've been playing along with some Typecell to get the groove going, and it's working out pretty nice, but I have some questions:

First, could anyone recomend me some DnB with quality basslines? I'm familiar with Roni Size and Squarepusher, so other bands are most welcome.

Second; I don't have any effects, so that distorted bass you hear so often in DnB is out of my reach. Could this be a problem?

General pointers are welcome as well ;)

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
  3. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    get an octave down, a fuzz and some sort of wah/filter/synth and you should be in business.
  4. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Try out the EH Bass Microsynth, or the Boss synth pedal. Both are very good, and will provide you with many different sounds.
  5. mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    whats an octive down? and wouuld a fiver be handy?
  6. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    As for music, you might check out a band called Drums and Tuba. While they have no bass player, their Tuba player holds down the low end well, and may give you some neat ideas.
  7. DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    I would check out tracks by EZ Rollers (oftem play with a full band), Dj Hype & Zink (really funky), Dj Marky (some cool latin stuff), Shy FX, there are a ton more but I'm drawing a blank.

It'll really depend on the style you're playing as it if you'll need effects or not. If it's the Jazzier stuff you should be fine wihtout it (although a fretless or URB would be cool). If it's the darker stuff then you'll want something to add some fuzz and other wierdness. Line six makes this pruple box that has some cool stuff for live electronica. IT's a guitar pedal but I've used it on bass before and it worked wonders.
  8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Thanks guys. Problem is that I am low on money (and I'm saving up for a fretless), so purchasing a lot of effects isn't really an option. OTOH, they said they were looking for a DBplayer or a bassplayer, so I think it's going to be more on the jazzy side than on the dark side ( :D ).