1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drum plugin to like get sounds like this?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Kwesi, Sep 23, 2010.

1. To say I'm pretty new to computer music would be an understatement but I used my birthday money and work earnings to dive in head first. I got Ableton Live and a handful of pretty nice VSTs. I'm waiting on my controller to come in so I can really get down to it but I'm figuring out how to work around things for now. I'm interested in all kinds of music but for now I'd like to make some groovy electronic based songs (think Daft Punk, Chromeo, Sam Sparro, etc) but I can't seem to find some solid drums for the genre. I know they're out there I just don't know where to look. I basically want something that has a kit or could synthesize drums that sound like the ones in this video:

http://morebirthdays.com/gallery/music#/artist/mysto-pizzi-ft-wynter-gordon

2. I create loops using Fruity Loops then cut and past to build up songs. The filter effects work pretty well and are easy to work with.

3. Thanks for the comment but I'm looking for a plugin. I've already got a DAW... actually two, lol.

4. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    You could try Kore Player

5. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I use iDrum from iZotope as a drum machine plug in for Ableton. It is pretty useful, easy to set-up tracks, not very expensive ($50 range) and has a lot of built in tracks/sounds and a large available library of add-on sets and tracks. The tracks and sets are very easily edited. It will also work as a standalone drum machine app, which is handy.

I'm sure there are many others, but iDrum works great for me in Ableton.

I got my own laptop based practice/recording rig set-up early this year. Never even imagined that I'd have this much fun with technology and music. I don't even turn on my amp to practice anymore - just to gig and rehearse.

good luck and enjoy!

6. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    Native instruments komplete series are fun. Older versions are very affordable. They have a dedicated drum plugin called battery, but there are also synth plugins that work great for creating percussion sounds (and there are plenty of presets too)

I have the komplete 5 and I'd guess you should be able to buy one for about 100 usd. Comes with plenty of other stuff too; guitar rig 3, akoustik piano, electric piano, differend synths, kontakt sample player (plenty of all kinds of instruments) and so on.

7. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
  8. This looks interesting! I've heard about it before but haven't really given it a look but I will now. A drum machince would be pretty useful for me too.

I've been thinking about this too! I still need a plugin for acoustic piano so Komplete might be helpful. I actually got Battery 3 from a friend and the sounds are pretty nice but seem like they're much more meant for being modified as opposed to using stock patches.

I have Addictive drums and they sound awesome. I've only been using them live though. I'll play around with it more and see if I can get some more electro-house sounding kits put together. How would I load Midi files into AD?

Thanks for the input guys.

9. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    I rewire Reason into Ableton. It has Redrum drum machine with all those classic elec drum samples, two additional samplers with kits, plus you can create your own from scratch using the other synth modules. The samplers are great for mangling drum samples into new sounds.

Then there's the whole pitched instrument aspect of Reason...I love it.

10. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    I have been very impressed with "Alicia's Keys" and it is very reasonably priced.

Later
    Rob