Drum programming.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dudemeister, Feb 12, 2002.

1. What do you computer recorders think about programming drums?
    Some weeks ago I exchanged some emails whith a guy who'd listened to some of my bands stuff and said he was amazed I put so much effort into programming the drums, he could never be bothered to do that.
    Since I have no way of recording real drums I use an assembled drum SoundFont to do the dirty work instead. When I write music I think the drum programming is a really fun part of the writing.
    I do all the programming in Logic Audio Silver in the ordinary "piano roll" view.

What do you think about drum programming and how do you do it?

Check out "Human" and "He who spoke words and became cow" on our mp3.com homepage to listen to examples of my work. I've recorded those two songs by myself except the singing on "Human" which is my younger brother. The rest of the songs on the homepage are his until I put up some more. May I also please have som feedback on them?
    Our mp3.com homepage.
  2. Does anybody know any good free acoustic drum soundfonts? www.hammersound.net seems quite dead.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I usually use AKAI sample CDs with Native Instruments' Battery or Steinberg's Halion.

You can get used AKAI CDs off ebay cheap.

Wizoo Platinum Drums and Bob Clearmountain Drums are good choices.
  4. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Pretty cool stuff man. I'm really impressed with the drum programming. They sound so much better than most of the programmed drums I've heard (in terms of both sound quality and "technicality"). I think it's the BOSS Dr. Rhythm (or something like that...although I'm not sure) that I've heard before, and in my opinion it sounds like sh!t. The kick has no power at all, and everything else is lifeless. But your drum sounds are much much better than that (in my opinion).

It's funny because today I was actually thinking about how I'd record/program drums for my future "solo" project, and I wasn't looking forward to spending a lot of time programming each and every hit. But your songs have given me hope that all is not lost....and now I know someone who may be able to help me out in the future :p

Anyway, keep up the good work. :)
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany