1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drum Solos and Counting

Discussion in 'Ask Lynn Seaton' started by Johnny L, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Hi Mr. Seaton,

I've been listening a lot to Puttin' On The Ritz. I love that record!

My question is, when Joel Fountain takes his solos are you guys counting bars so you can come back in together...or is there some nonverbal cue you guys have decided on in advance to bring you back in?

It's something I have struggled with for a lot of jazz recordings where the drummer takes a solo that may extend past several measures, to keep the pulse in my head (or foot, or wherever I have room to put it) and not end up with the drummer turning me upside down and inside out trying to find the beat.

I mean, it's a super fun rollercoaster ride Mr. Fountain takes me on. I'm just wondering if I should be riding or spectating...

2. Lynn Seaton

Lynn Seaton Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Denton, TX
    Thanks for the kind words regarding the CD. Joel solos on the form of the tunes on this record. Try keeping the melody in your head during a drum solo. Also listen to the what the drummer plays. A good one will play phrases in the form on most standards and jazz tunes just like any other soloist. There is also the option that a drummer can take an open solo not over the form. Then a combination of visual and musical cues will bring the band in.

3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks very much for the advice!

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I love working with drummers who play the tune so clearly you can walk into the room in the middle of a solo and hear what the song is.

5. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    O.K. I tried singing the melody while Joel Fountain does his solos and it seemed to work like a champ. I can keep track of time and enjoy the solos both at the same time how cool is that.

Thanks again :hyper:

6. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    ItÂ’s very cool. Last night I had the good fortune to do a trio gig with a drummer who I gel with extremely well, both musically and personally.

At one point he took a solo and played the melody on his kit very clearly. I don't think I have ever heard a drummer do this type of thing quite so well before, and I immediately smiled and thought of Ed and Johnny's comments in this thread.

Actually, I believe seeing this thread actually helped me be more tuned in and listening for it. And it was, as Johnny said, very cool.

For a drummer. ;)