Drummer-bassist question...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bass_player16, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Hey everyone. I just got back from band practise, and it went quite well, we are working on some great new songs that I'm very proud of and I think are coming along well. As soon as they are done and recorded I will be sure to post them. My question is, I was doing a good job of locking in with the drummer, but I was wondering when I'm following her bass drum, should I mute each note? or should I just let them ring out and then just hit a note everytime she plays her bass drum?

My second question is. I was just informed by our singer/rhythm guitarist that I'm going to be covering the backing vocal duties in one of our songs, I certainly wasn't expecting this. Anyways, for any of you singing bassists what are some tips for me to learn to sing and play, I try and make my lines as complicated as possible but still keep them within reason and make the song sound good. But I have a feeling I'm going to have to cut back this time, which will really suck but if it will help i guess i will.

Anyways, thank you ahead of time for any info you can give me

2. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Yeah, it doesn't matter which you do. Each will flavor the song in a different way, so play what you want to hear.

3. THanks guys. Ya andrew i dont exactly want to sing, but this song really calls for back up singing, and no one else in the band wants to, our lead guitarist thinks that the rule is that no lead guitarist sings, which quite frankly is a bunch of poo if you ask me, but oh well.

4. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    1. Learn to sing backup, you will be way in more demand than bassists that do not.

2. Your lead guitarist has a bad attitude. I'd either get him to reconsider or find another band with more responsible members.

Hope this helps,
  5. First of all, have your guitarist listen to Bon Jovi. I'm not a fan, but Sambora sings some killer backup stuff. Also, when he's not playing leads he's a rhythm guitarist anyway. He just doesn't want to sing, I think.
    I agree that you should accept the challenge and try it. It takes lots of practice.
    As far as the drummer thing goes, Our band has a driving, Queensryche-ish song where I play 8th notes with the kick drum. Some times I'll mute them and then let one ring at the end of a measure or two measures or whatever feels good. As long as the rhythm is kept, its all good.
  6. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Jive has a great post about singing when playing bass, I believe it's a sticky for one of the forums here. As far as staying with the kick drum, I think that as long as you're in time, it shouldn't matter how long of a note you play. I generally do short notes during a verse or even chorus, and then at the end of the measure where you would do your fills, turnarounds etc. I let the notes ring. I learned this from Victor Wooten and Carter Beauford's(sp?) video Making Music, where they talk about turnarounds and such. (More of a blues oriented video but definitely worth checking out.) Hope this helps :)