1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drummer battle! Peart or Bonham?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Neil Peart

45 vote(s)
    51.1%
  2. Jon Bonham

30 vote(s)
    34.1%
  3. Carrot top

13 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Ok, had a bit of an argument with my buddy over which of the two is the better drummer. I like Peart. What do you all think? Bonham...idunno, his playing seems boring and repetitive to me. Peart is just a monster!

:bag:

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Since John hasn't been able to play in ages... I'm gonna have to go with Neil by default. ;)

Music is art and there is no "better" in my view...

If I had to choose between the 2, I prefer John's style. but for loud 70s Arena Rock drumming Bill Ward has always been my favorite.

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    To me, there is no contest, Neil Peart hands down is my favourite of the two.

Mr. Hart was right though, there's not really any 'better' musicians. Just different.

Graeme

4. ..Bonham TOTALLY does it for me..

Peart is awsome, but *to my ears/gut* Bonzo's the Man!

:eek: !!! Let the Flaming begin.. :bag:

5. they are both very good drummers, (well, one is, one was ;)) but i will say that rush does allow for a more "in-front" drum part, while bonham really didn't get much if you as me, but he could come up with a pretty cool sdolo in moby dick...

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    I'm a Neil fan. Very original style. I suppose you could say the same for Bonham, but I hate Led Zepplin with a passion.

7. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    You people and your constant pointing out of opinionation...of course music is art, and there is no better! Better by nature in this context is subjective! Sheesh. Of course, the actual scientific fact is that Peart is better. :bag: :D

8. Ok... I like apples and I like oranges. Sometimes I am in the mood for an apple and therefore I like an apple better then an orange at that time.

Sometimes I need to make orange juice and no matter how much I like apples I will not be able to make orange juice with one.

I currently play with a drummer who also plays in a Rush tribute band. He nails the complex Rush stuff but when it come to laying out a simple but cool groove he falls a little short.

So when I need a super technical, air-tight, hermetically sealed drum part, gimme Peart. When I want down to earth, gritty, sexy, heartwrenching blues rock, gimme Bonzo.

Can't vote - love 'em both - neither is better then the other.

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Bonzo played so far behind the beat, he'd force you to be better. Bonzo, hands down! Peart is a demon, but he doesn't have what Bonzo had. The man brought funk to Black Dog, Peart couldn't have done that.

10. +1 Peart

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I like Bonzo.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I really like both of them. They both play (or played) what is perfect for their band.

My personal favorite is Peart.

13. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    I like Rush better, but if I had to choose which one to play with it would be Bonham.

14. Bonzo, Zeppelin was the first band I really dug a lot and Bonzo always rocks me out. Peart is a bad motha though.

Of course my all time favorite rock drummer is Ian Paice.

15. I was going to mention Bill Ward, I never liked Rush and Bonzo was pretty good...but Ward rules, still going after a heart attack.

Plus, I don't have Bonzo's or Peart's autograph/drumstick as I do Wards. Not that this is a reason to like one over the other of course..

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Danny Carey vs Dana Carvey

17. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    +1, Neal Peart can play tons of polyrhythms, but it doesn't amount to Bonzo's groove.

18. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Stooopit poll.

They're both legendary. Who are we to diminish either one?

19. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    It's not even apples and oranges. This is apples and chickens.

I played in a Rush tribute band for a while, so Peart probably would get the vote, but I'm not goin g to vote because, really it's about what the music needs.

I played mostly with two drummers coming up. I'll call them Mark and Ron, becasue those are their actual names:

Mark could groove like nobodys business. Every note he played was exactly the right one, and there were no extra ones. But he couldn't do the heavy technique/prog stuff.

Ron played drums in the Rush tribute band I was in. He had technique for days. But he had no soul. If you stood too close to him for a while it would suck soul right out of you.

The two of them have improved and are more like each other now than they were in the 80's. A complete blend of the two of them would be, well. Steve Gadd, but I digress. For one kkind of music I would definitely rather have Mark. For another kind I would definitely rather have Ron. The same holds true for Bonzo and Peart.

20. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Amen! Bonham's drumming has a seriously personal feel -- and I've never been a Rush/Peart fan, having deftly avoided the technically-based rock music of the 80's, so it's an easy call.