drummer didn't show up

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Mar 13, 2005.

1. that's right.. last night my drummer didn't show to the gig. no calls from him, no nothing. It was booked for over a month too.. wow. He never did this before. the place and lineup both sucked so i wasn't really bummed, but it was strange. anyone ever have this happen??
  2. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Wow, that sucks.

Today at my youth group me and my friends were stressed out because we didn't know what to play, so we deciided on some stuff and got it ready, cept the drummer wasn't going to be there...cept at the last minute just before the service started he showed up and my friend ended up just doin a really cool prasie song (which was closer to gospel than anything, but it was chill and worked out)

So all in all, nothing bad over here...
  3. We had a gig this past Friday night...it was a tsunami benefit show at the local college campus. I told the other two guys in our band that they had to be there "by 7 PM, we play at 8 PM." So of course they show up at about 7:50, and we started playing about 8:20 (yeah, we set up and did "sound check" that quickly). The people running the show didn't really care, so it all worked out. Basically they were just late because the drummer had to stay at work late, and the guitarist had to give him a ride, but come on...
  4. arghpirate

Mar 11, 2005
    hes not YOUR drummer, perhaps something came up lol
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I hope he's OK.

I had a gig where the drummer didn't turn up! Everyone else in Sydney was out partying for the closing ceremony of the 2000 Olympics. Instead, I took a gig filling in for a band who's bass player was ill. I really didn't want to be there because all my friends were on the harbour having a great time. I even tried doubling my price hoping they would tell me I was charging too much and ring someone else. They must have been desperate because they agreed to pay the extra.

I arrived to find the rest of the band set up and ready to go, including a drum kit set up. 20 mins later I was set up, tuned up, and ready to play, but where's the drummer?

40 mins, still no word. We start to worry that something bad has happened. He's not answering his phone and no-one knows where he is.

1 Hour, still no drummer. The venue management by this stage is having kittens! They weren't happy!

90 Minutes, no drummer, and the venue management told us to pack up and go home. I didn't even get to play a single note.

Here's where it get's interesting. The druimmer had apparently set up his kit, then raced to a vantage point to watch the fireworks. When he tried to drive back to the gig, he got caught in a road block.

The band didn't get paid, they reasoned that I shouldn't either. How angry was I? Well, you don't get an Olympic Games in your home town very often! And I was set up and ready to rock! And I was helping them out, doing them a favour! So I stood my ground and insisted they pay my fee!

5 years later and I still stand in for that band every now and then :)
  6. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    My drummer doesn't show up when he's in the room with us!
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    With the current drummer in my band...

...i wish he'd not show up a bit more often.

You know it's time to look for a new drummer when we all look forward to booking the fill-in guy.
  8. WoW...those are some bad situtations. At least ours shows up for gigs. It's always prctice with him. He's a senior in high school and "his dad won't let him."
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Our drummer always shows up. In fact, the other night he showed up at 10 minutes 'til 8 for a nine o'clock gig. I asked him, "What happened? Did you think the gig was at eight?" That silly guy always gets lost, and typically shows up 10 minutes before showtime. But, we've never started late.

BTW, he's the best drummer I've ever played with, and I've played with a bunch. One of those guys that actually listens to the bass, so you can work out a feel.
  10. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'd marry him if I were you.
  11. guitarists always turn up.....their amp!

our drummer is a great guy and this is the best band i've been in (quite a few now...)

once, we had a gig and i was really reluctant to accept it because i knew i would have trouble getting out of work commitments to make it on time. turns out, i was 1 1/2 hours late, even though the boys knew i would be.

got to the gog (private friends party, at least) and got to play one set before it was all over. it took me 30 mins just to drive to the place and only played for 50 mins. the boys were cool, and the birthday girl was cool too.

the only person who chewed me out was the singer's girlfriend, which made me pretty angry. :scowl:
  12. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    :D Hehe!

Edit: I mean, I'm sorry to hear that. Funny though. :)
  13. UPDATE... he went to santa cruz to see his woman.. ouch. still hasn't called us back, we found out through his work.. i'm not bummed, we only have one more gig... we were doing this for 5 years and i found something out.. .

so here's what i realized... i played with my first "real" drummer (Lucky Luctifeld, i was 16 he was 28) for about 5 years. 3 different bands, tours, etc... we chilled, were basically like brothers for a long time. He moves, i meet Seth, he was a raging techno, trance, jungle drum n bass cat. we met him doin 35 min solo sets at raves. like 20 some odd pices to his kit. unreal. me and him were bothers too. i saved his life when he got stupid and tried to kill himself, he taught me a lot about me and music and made a huge impression on me.

he bails i meet asher, who has been my writing counterpart and guitarist for the last 5 or so years. we even have the same birthday, 2 years apart. same high school.. wierd huh? i felt he was my musical "soul mate" and we wrote.. but, i never hooked up with the drummer. he was a wierd cat who never really hung out, and it took me 5 years to realize he really treated us as a second gig. fooled even myself. i never had the same relation ship with him as a friend or musician.

i do with jeff from thicker than thieves (check it.. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168305&highlight=band+dilemma ) . before i quit, i met the one person who actaully made me a man (i was REAL pussy for a LONG time), be stoked on me and my abilites and that I was a human being with a reason to exist... possibly the best person i've met in my life. This guy was a huge badass (tough guy, kick you into next week, etc.. ) locally and i was ALWAYS intimidated. by him. turned out to be the most impacting person on figuring out who i was. 4 years later i now i have that link again...

i'm drunk and rambling, but when the drummer feels right it just is.. i will never link musically or brotherly PROPERLY unless it's with a drummer. gnarly.

sorry bout the rant, i love revelations!!! :D
  14. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    That's nothin. I had a singer who wouldn't show up to practices... at his own house.

All he would have had to do was fall out of bed and roll down the stairs, and he would be at practice. But no, we would show up and he wouldn't even be home.
  15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Our drummer was too sick to make it to school one day when our program was doing another rehearsal for a festival we were putting on. We got another drummer (rhythm guitarist and singer worked with him and taught him the songs we were playing) and it went ok. We didn't know why our drummer hadn't shown until Monday (the day was a Friday) and we were all really pissed.

That's life, dude. People in high school have parents, who may or may not set limits. If he's good enough that he can miss a few practices and you guys don't mind, whatever, but if not then cut him loose until he's able to make more of a committment to the band.

16. word to that.. i was editing and posting my last one above when you guys were posting.... read that and you'll see the "clear head" ... :D
  17. Rev G, thats an amazing story.

I count myself lucky that my band is tight. I been in so many bands that aren't.

Rev G, nothing is worth killing yourself over, I believe that no one has the right to take their own life. You are born without the right to life, so you never own the right to take it yourself.

just my humble opinion
  18. man, if a drummer had scheduled a gig with me and then went to see his girlfriend, he would NEVER play with me again. Ever.

Why do people think they don't have to be responsible???

19. whoa dude, i think you missed something... one of mt old drummers was nuts over a chick and i saved HIM from doing anything..

I'm cool man!!! :D
  20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    We're going steady, so who knows?