1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

drummer drought

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by WHOlovesBASS?, May 6, 2006.

1. Does anybody else find it extremely hard to find a decent drummer these days? there isnt one in my area who can play what i want...im sure of it. Doesnt anybody bother to learn jazz anymore? im only 17 but im so sick of playing only the time signatures that our drummer can play. guess what they are...4/4. thats it.also, he changes tempo in the middle of an improv jam, and will all ov a sudden end a song. what a dumb@$$

does anybody else have this problem? of am i blind to an amazing massload of drummers out here in my area?

2. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I have the exact same problem! More guitarists than I can shake a stick at, but no drummers! I almost got into a gigging band that played sweet sabbath type rock, except they couldn't find a drummer and I never heard back from the guy. Frickin annoying.

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    A good drummer is worth his weight in gold. Tempo and timing is everything. I'm laughing as I say this, I would lower your standards. If you got one that can play 4/4 but keep good timing and is willing to learn new stuff with you, then you're golden. There's still a lot you can do with 4/4. Also just because he's playing 4/4, doesn't mean you have to. Just something to think about. Good luck.

4. Vacume

Vacume

Jan 11, 2006
    keep looking! I was beggining to think drummers had gone extinct in my area but eventually one popped up

5. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Just remember, a drummer who stinks but is willing to work hard to be better is worth far more than a good drummer who refuses to work hard for you.

I've played with far more than my share of "rusty" musicians. Heck, I've taught 2 bassists from the ground up. After a year with the band, you can rarely tell them apart from the guys who have been playing consistently for years.

When my current band started, the drummer didn't have a kit and had taken 2 years off from playing. The bassist was actually my backup singer from my last band, didn't have a bass, and didn't even know how to play. We played our first show after only 4 weeks of rehearsal (albeit a short show).

Our current drummer came to us nearly a year and a half ago after taking TWENTY YEARS away from the drums. Today, he's solid as a rock. He's still a little slow on picking up new material, and he still gets flustered from time to time, but that just means that I need to program a little more rehearsal for him.

Don't be concerned so much about finding a "good" drummer. Be concerned with a dedicated drummer... and you'll be happy you did.

6. Our band went through a similar problem earlier this year. Our previous drummer quit at the end of our NYE show (I started a thread on this...). Then, we tried out a guy who seemed great, and agreed to join the band, then he seemingly disappeared off the face of the earth! We finally found our current drummer after a couple more months of looking, and he's working out really well. I'm more excited about our band than I have been in a long time!

The bottom line is you just have to keep looking. Post on every website you can think of...craiglist, local musician boards, etc. I probably posted on six different websites, and got several responses. Also, if you know any other local musicians (especially older than you), ask them if they know anyone. You never know...they may know a guy who's been looking for a project similar to yours.

7. Heck, with drummers, I'm just happy to find someone who can keep simple time. Why do you think they invented drum machines?

8. i dont know where that came from? isnt having high standards why we all play bass? why we all like music, why we all practice? i dont want to settle for a drummer that can only play rock beats when i want to play jazz...sure its possible to do fusion stuff where the guitars play in 3 and the drummer in 4 or whatever, but thats not what i want. if i find a drummer who can play in 6/8 or something, then as a band we will be that much more versitile. im not saying theres anything wrong with rock, but if i dont want to play rock, then why should i settle playing rock?

9. i'm lucky enough to have one of the most talented drummers on the isle playing for our band. However, I've played with many substandard ones and it really is so frustrating.

10. I think my "favorite" bad drummer was a guy who stopped counting while attempting to do fills. It's hard to recover from a 4.5 beat measure in straight rock. It tooks us 6 months to get him cured of that. He did OK otherwise, tho.

11. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    This is good advice that can't be reiterated enough. For me, finding good musicians is easy. Finding good musicians who give a F about getting together and being dedicated to playing good music is the problem. And if the latter is there, the former can be taught.

I'm currently pretty lucky with my band situation, though I had to hang up the bass and go back to drums to get into it. It took a couple years to happen but so far it's been worth the wait.

12. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    My band went 3-years without a drummer. We interviewed/auditioned almost 50 during that time. We continued to play shows and record CD's using a drum machine. It was fun, but rock/metal audiences just kinda look at you like a novelty when you take the stage without a live drummer. Luckily we found "Mr. Right" 6-months ago. It's amazing the difference in crowd response.

13. If your looking just to Jam and you live in South Florida, PM me. I've been playing drums for 25 yrs. I play Tama drums and Roland V drums. Just bring your bass, I got a 450 watt bass rig you can hook up to at my home studio. Or we can rent a studio for a few hours. We can jam the blues, rock, jazz, fusion what ever. I can play odd time 12/8, 7/8, 6/8, 5/4, 7/4 with ease. My favorite bands are Rush, zeppelin, Yes, Alice In Chains and Iron Maiden. I just started playing the bass a few months ago. I am NOT looking to join a band as a drummer or bassist and not looking to get paid..Its a good way to learn some bass, there are no good bass teachers here.

14. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Why does 4/4 automatically equal rock in your mind? :eyebrow:

15. Your on bloody on the mark. I cant find a decent drummer anywhere.. drives me insane. However behind every corner you can find a guitarist... Shocking

16. Six months ago I would have agreed with you 100% on that. I'm not so sure I do anymore though. I'm quickly realizing that I'd rather work with a jackass who was amazing, than someone dedicated, who can't seem to keep tempo. For me, if the weak link in the band is weak enough, that is more annoying than dealing with somebody's quirks and antics.

17. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    my jazz/funk trio waited two years to find our current drummer. There is a MASSIVE drought of drummers here in cleveland. This cat does rock gigs on the side too. Drummers are far and few between these days for some reason. If they do play, they play hardcore or metal or just rock. no one knows how to jam the jazz/blues/R&B/funk stuff anymore.

also, even if you do find a drummer, its even harder to find one that is somewhat normal. man, drummer's are a wierd bunch of people. they have strange mannerisms and come and go like the wind.

18. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Tempo can be taught very easily. It could be that you aren't the person to do it, though. If the guy is really dedicated, recommend lessons.

19. 4/4 doesnt equal rock your putting words in my mouth...its just annoying that our drummer can ONYL play rock beats and ONLY in 4/4.
    too hard to understand? he can play rock beats in 4/4, and thats frusterating.
    is it too much to ask for a drummer that can play in more than one style and only one time signature? thats like me being able to play only in the key of a in a punk context. a duh?

20. it really cant be though, sure, you can teach someone to play drums, but only if they have rhythm. some people just lack what it takes in order to play a beat and keep it steady...and unfortunately, they call themselves drummers