1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

drummer gone, need a snare beat

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by latigid, Aug 13, 2007.

1. latigid

latigid

Mar 10, 2004
    Greetings:

Our church band consists of drums, bass, acoustic guitar, electric guitars, keys, and vocalists.

Our only drummer has moved on, and It may be awhile until another drummer is found. This leaves the church band in a predicament. What we need is a snare beat, which I can manipulate real-time (the order of songs constantly changes, so pre-programming tempos wouldn't work). What would be a few inexpensive ways to produce a snare sound in real-time using my foot?

Thanks!

2. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Can you get someone to play it? You could.....rig up something like this.... Instead of a kick drum, mount a snare on its side and use the kick drum's pedal, rigged with a regular stick, to strike it.
    You could also do a couple "acoustic weeks" while waiting for a replacement.
    You could very easily use something like an RC-2, which I happen to have for sale (heh heh heh) and set the tempo on-the-fly. It's kind of what they do.
    A lot of options. I'd opt for getting someone to help out on coongas or something like that.

3. Doesn't Boss Make an effects pedal where you step on it and it produces a preprogrammed noise?? (it's in the same casing as all the other FX pedals)

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are drum machines which can take triggers from a footswitch or a piezo disc that you could step on.

But I would be much more inclined to canvass the churchgoers for somebody with a good sense of rhythm, and give them a nice bright shaker, tambourine, or maracas.

5. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    And all of God's people said 'Amen.'
    :)

6. Hell-Lu

Hell-Lu

Sep 15, 2004
    Norway
    or you could stomp'n pop like larry graham ;)

7. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Yeah just start thumpin' and pluckin' :D

8. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Dumbo, NY
    pop + reverb = good snare sound.
    :)

But I'll go with Bongo's suggestion.

9. There's nothing quite as covertly sexual as a cute 18 year old church-goer whackin' a tambourine... Maybe you could even find an ex-baton twirler for a bit of flair!?!

10. pick up the sticks and have a go, who knows, you may actually be good... It helps if band members are able to play more than one instrument, get someone else learning the rudiments of Bass while you're learning drums... who knows, they might be good as well... :)

11. latigid

latigid

Mar 10, 2004
    Thanks for the tips, everyone. You've opened up some options I hadn't considered. I'll talk it over with the band leader and see which one we try first.

Your help is appreciated!