Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drummer gone to bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DethZiro, Jun 18, 2004.

1. DethZiro

DethZiro

Jun 18, 2004
    Hey Guys! Ive been playing drums for years and now I thought it was time to also learn bass. I bought a Yamaha RBX170 but the nut on the neck keeps breaking when I try to tune it (there is no back support to it for some crazy reason). I was thinking of getting a new/better one for around $400 - can anyone help me in my decision? I want a bass that has good deep earthy tones and responds well to slaps. I was thinking o Fender (dont know jazz or p bass) or maybe the new Yamaha RBX374. So far i've gone to a few guitar centers and nobody can offer me any real help.

2. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    The GC here in Sac isn't much help either.
    But I would consider a good Fender Jazz. Just make sure you play alot of basses. Go to as many stores as possible and just play whatever you can. Since your not really sure what you want, it's would be a good idea to just know what your options are and what feels and sounds best to you. Just make sure you are happy with what you get, take your time.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Never had a nut break. Logically, I would think the source to be an unlevel surface where the nut sets (luthiers forum would probably be your best source for that). At any rate, for some reason you're getting an uneven distribution of pressure off the strings. Unless it becomes some rediculous endeavor, I'd get the nut problem resolved before looking into another bass so you can check this bass out. If it has a decent neck and you like the feel, you can always change the pups to alter the tone, or whatever. But if you're going to play, it's in your best interest to be able to make basic adjustments and modifcations yourself - otherwise you're be needing a second bass anyway - and a fat wallet. Actually, if you're going to play out - you'll really need a second bass regardless.

4. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm planned on making that same move backwards. Playing drums would probably improve my bass playing and vice versa, but yeah Fender J is the slap bass. You could get a Fender Standard J for that price, it's Mexican made, but not a bad place to start.