Drummer is incredibly unreliable and lies

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Fynn, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Fynn

Fynn

Jan 6, 2022
    Germany
    I figured it was time for me to post a little story, mainly because I want to know how others would evaluate this situation, or if someone has ever experienced something similar.

I play in a party band and I'm related with the band owner. Therefore, I get told pretty much anything that he has to deal with. We get alot of our gigs through an agency and these people expect that when we accept a gig, that we will be there and play even if it's not the original lineup. That being said, we haven't played in our original lineup even once. And that is mostly because our drummer is ill, or atleast he says he's ill, quite often. That's not really a big problem, because we have multiple dedicated subs that know our setlists and would play very consistently.

Recently though, our drummer messed up pretty bad. He initally said that he would be there for a gig and roughly a week prior he said that he didn't want to play, because he would rather play with his father another small gig. A little late but the bandleader said it was fine if he can find a replacement, because all of our usual subs were not available that day, tough luck.
    He did actually manage to find someone, but he misinformed that guy on pretty much everything. Our drummer promised him that he would be driven (with his entire acoustic kit), he only had to learn 30 songs (usually we have about 60, but for this gig we actually had way less playtime and it came down to about 40 songs total), that he would be provided material to help him learn the songs (we have never given anything out to drummers to help them, because frankly none of us know how to play drums except for our drummer...) and that he would be provided a kit...

Our leader was really mad at our drummer, but the show went really well actually. I personally feel really bad for the sub that our drummer lied to so much, because you could really tell that he was very dedicated and really gave his all trying to make the best out of the situation. He even rented a car so he could get all his stuff to the gig. Bandleader decided that it would only be fair now to take away the cost of the rented car from our drummers next pay and give that sub the entire pay.

We have played that gig on the 19th of june and our drummer has not shown up for the two gigs last week either. Atleast that time he was sick and not just unwilling to play, because he would rather play in his fathers band.

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I've never done this before, but you to apply talkbass logic 101 - fire the drummer. He doesn't want to be there, and you don't want someone who feels that way.

3. pasmithy

pasmithy

Jul 7, 2011
    SE PA
    Really??? You been here six months and don't know the advice you about to receive? :)

4. J Wilson

J Wilson

Apr 22, 2022
    An Undisclosed Location
    none
    The tail does NOT wag the dog. If I were in a band that could work steadily through an agency, he's simply jeapordising any and all future work, and that simply would not fly with me. Especially where you have many capable substitutes, including the last guy you mentioned:. I'd be surprised if one of them would not be quick to take his place full time. Find THAT guy, and eliminate this problem before it costs you big time.

Show his a__ the door, at your soonest convenience.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  5. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    FTD

6. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Drummer is incredibly unreliable and lies

Drummer is fired.

7. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Drummer rubs the lotion on his skin and leaves the band.

8. What are this drummer's redeeming qualities?

9. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Take the high road. Assume the drummer is in fact ill and release him from his obligation to the band. Wish him well on his journey. Contact drummer who filled in and see in he wants the spot full time or at least be on call.

retslock, nnnnnn, sethlow3 and 13 others like this.
  10. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Hmmm...Let's see, what answer would I say.
    Sorry Mr. Drummer, we not longer need your services.

"Du bist gefeuert" lol

Personally if you really liked playing with any of the fill in drummers, then ask them to sit in for the next few gigs and see if interest of joining is an option.

11. I didn't even need to read the OP. Bye Bye to that drummer. Move on.

J_Bass, Dust2Dust, Lo-E and 3 others like this.
  12. surfguitar

surfguitar

Jun 2, 2006
    When necessary, I played drums in several bands I can say this for certain...drummers can easily be replaced. I agree with @smogg, be gracious and find another drummer.

BlueTalon, Fynn and smogg like this.
  13. Stewie

Stewie

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    If the sub who put in the extra effort is willing, hire him. That’s the kind of dedication you need. If he isn’t too far out of your way(and you have the space) let him pay for half the gas and go get him. That way you and he will have plenty of time to set up the drums and your amp and be relaxing at the bar with a beer when the rest of the band finally shows up

Polfuste, castlev, BlueTalon and 4 others like this.
  14. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

"...to take away the cost of the rented car from our drummers next pay ..."

"Next pay."

...."NEXT pay?"

Why in the world would there be any prospect of this drummer getting "NEXT" pay?

15. JC BASS 91

JC BASS 91

Oct 22, 2021
    SW Missouri
    I would have chucked the drummer long ago. He has more than outstayed his welcome.

16. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    Any time you don't fire the drummer is an opportunity lost. :D

17. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Hire the sub.

Microbass, GTx2, Dust2Dust and 7 others like this.
  18. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    You have a band leader, they need to handle the situation.

Reg Braithwaite, smogg and Dust2Dust like this.
  19. pepj

pepj

Mar 25, 2021
    Let him go. You can't operate with unreliable people.

And yes, thats a euphemism for firing him.

Dust2Dust likes this.
  20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Oh, okay... sorry we inconvenienced you with a commitment.