1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

drummer is making crazy decisions help

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Linas, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    So were playing a gig on sunday. Nothing crazy just a graduation party where our 3 piece band is going to do some covers. He decided to invite a couple cats that he knows to play with us. I guess it doesnt bother me that much but what does bother me that they dont have amps and he is trying to make it the bands responsibility to get these guys amped. Now we will have a PA, which i dont really know how to use. But is it possible to plug in instruments into the PA that have not been amped? This is pissing me off.

2. jaebee

jaebee

Mar 16, 2007
    yes, you can plug directly into a PA, but it will sound like crap unless you put a DI box or preamp in front of it.

Your drummer should have cleared this move with the rest of you before he did it. I would tell him it is his responsibility to get them up and running, since he is the one who wants them to play.

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal

+1. Strikes 1 and 2 for the drummer IMO.

4. I'd set up a band meeting.. and make it 'firm'.. Have the other original guy back you up too. Tell the drummer in direct, clear terms that HE will ensure that the new guys go out and PURCHASE new, reliable DI boxes and respective patch cables.

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    If these guys are just sitting in for a song or two and they are definitely going to play then I'd say just go with the flow and let these guys use your amps. You don't have to be happy about it, but it will save everyone including yourself and your own band a lot of trouble. Just make it clear that to whoever might be using yours that you don't want anything changed on it while he's using it. Plus you will be there to oversee your equipment being used as well. If anyone starts doing something stupid like bass on 11 and gain set through the roof, you can stop them in their tracks there and then.

Even if I wanted some one to sit in on one of my gigs I would say to use my amp because it just saves a lot of hassle as opposed to dealing with multiple setups, mixing up cables, similiar gear getting misplaced etc etc. Plus I have a better setup than most others would have.

Running these guys straight through the PA would most likely be way more hassle than its worth.

If however they are going to be playing along with the band at the same time and need extra amps I'd tell everyone to F off and get thier own equipment and gigs.

You are right to be annoyed at your drummer though. It wasn't his decision to make to let these guys play.
    Next time you see him, roll up a newspaper and whack him on the nose and shout "BAD DRUMMER" then repeat until he gets the message. Drummers are notoriously tricky creatures to train.

These guys should offer the use of their own equipment at least. If you can't get the drummer to uninvite them from the stage, just let it slide this once and let the drummer know that your not happy about what he did. I'd venture a guess that it won't be as bad as you think letting them use your gear.

6. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area

Hmm....
    I'd say strike one for just BEING a drummer, so this'd be a 3-pitch K.

7. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    It was HIS idea.

They are HIS guys.

That makes it HIS responsibility.

Not yours.

8. Let them use your amps, but don't play with them. You guys might look bad if these guys suck.

9. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    +1

You should not take it upon yourselves to get these guys set up. Make the drummer get it all put together.

10. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Let me tell you another thing..... This is something that may serve you for years to come, my friend. Think about this.....

Now, this guy did something stupid, and you're mad, right? It makes you fume, right??? So, who is that hurting? Hmmm??
    Let this go, and let it go now. That drummer is sitting at home on the couch with a Burgmeister watching World's Wildest Police Chases and not having a care in the world.

The guy is a jerk, and you'll not change that, and if you are harboring this anger over that event, it's taking its toll on you.
    Let it go now, and move on.

11. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Even in the best of circumstances, having people "sit in" is disruptive and destructive to the flow and vibe of the gig. Save something like that for the last set. Do these people practice with you ? (probably not.) Just say NO!

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Amen!

MM