Drummer Issues

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Nazman, May 3, 2005.

1. Nazman

Mar 4, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    My drummer needs to quit being wussy.
    We are a new band..we have all known each other for at least 15 years
    We are in our late 30's and early 40's
    We opened up for local and national touring band ASKA a few months ago.
    The booking agent /sound man liked us and called us to headline on a Friday night.
    We played that show last Friday night and it went very well.
    WE got a voice mail last night that someone cancelled for this coming Friday night.
    Me (bass) and the guitar/vocals player are up for it..But the drummer/vocals has this thing about working all day and playing on Friday nights..We arent out looking for weekly Friday gigs but if a club calls and needs someone to fill a cancellation then I think business wise we should do it..Even if we did play the week before..It isnt going to be like this all the time..But, I called the drummer and he said he isnt up to doing two weekends in a row.This is really going to become an issue..
    I thought of maybe getting another drummer and just having him do vocals only.
    I guess we will discuss that with him..and if he doesnt want to do that then we are screwed.
  2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Moved to band management and performance :)
  3. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

main discussions when we formed our current wedding band was the number of gigs per month (proposed and MAX). This is a part time gig for us and family time is much more important than 37 years ago when I first got together with the guitarist.

Best of luck with your drummer issue. Sometimes you just tough it out. Make sure he fells the love, drummers are people too.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  4. Nazman

Mar 4, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    we did discuss the gig schedule..But when the booking dude calls and needs help isnt it good to help out? It isnt going to be like that all the time..
  5. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    Thats weak, tell him to be a man, and buck up little camper!
    man i have a guitar player that pulls the same thing when it comes to practicing on Fridays, but playing somewhere ...... priorities, priorities, priorities. what are his? suggest that he gets a TIVO so he doesn't miss the fights :smug: :D
  6. This sort of "one off" arrangement has a habit of becoming a recurring one, in my experience. I've been in the situation where I've been in a band with a proposed & maximum number of gigs/month, and then the band-leader has said "c'mon, it's only ONE more - and it's a one off"

Then come next month, he booked one extra gig - assuming I wouldn't mind, as I played that number the previous month. From there it's a short leap to playing just ONE more (as a one-off, of course) and you can see how it escalates.

I'm not saying you would do that personally, but simply that I can understand why your drummer might be wary.
  7. Is one of your goals as a band to be gigging regularly? If so, Friday nights are a big gig night. If he is not available on Friday nights, you may need to find a new drummer.