Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

drummer just quit the band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by whatsinaname, Jan 6, 2005.

1. This sucks, after seven years of playing together in this band, the drummer just couldn't take the singer's bad case of LSD and quit the band. He quit with class by playing out all our holiday gigs and choosing a time when we have nothing booked for a while, but now I'm uncertain what the fallout will be. Will the rest of us stick together and look for a new drummer, or will other members leave and it will be time to start from scratch again :(
    Anyone know of a good drummer looking for a band in Detroit? Or know of a band in need of a bass player?

2. golden_boy

golden_boy

Dec 27, 2004
    man, thats unlucky :( I fell for you though, its a pain when people quit the band, it basically puts the band on hiatus. At least he was cool enough to not do it in the middle of a lot of shows. Plus he didnt leave for no reason.

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Well, if your singer is messed up all the time, I'm not sure that I could blame your drummer for wanting out. Have you thought about asking the singer to get clean or get out? That way, you'd maintain the rest of the band without having to deal with another person's addictions.

4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i don't think that is what he's talking about ... :D

5. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Is it more Like Lead Singer D..?

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Lead Singer Disease

;)

7. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Lead Singer Disease= An extreme addiction to self glorification. Having a Narcistic out look on life. Demanding the daily worship of all band members.
    No known cure. Usually results in the disbanding of all bands forced to experiance this syndrome.

8. DaveDeVille

we have a winner !! :D

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Sounds like a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water (did I just date myself?).

I'd get together with the drummer and other members and talk about giving the heave ho to the singer and keep the band intact.

Singers (who do nothing more than sing) are just about useless.

I say talk to your drummer and boot the singer.

10. DaveDeVille

you must be old , like me ... :D
    but i agree , keep the drummer , dump the singer ...
    good drummers are as hard to find as hen's teeth ... :D :D

11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If you really connect with the drummer, you could choose to leave the band also and hang with him.

12. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yes, another good suggestion.

In fact, you could do that, and then tell the other members to do the same, one at a time...until the singer is the only one left. :D

13. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    That is the best suggestion, yet.

14. swampash

swampash

Dec 13, 2004

awww ... LMAO...damn that is funny, and true!

15. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Drummers get a lot of love in this place. I like that :)

16. I thought about just hanging with the drummer, but he's claiming (at least publicly) that he is leaving for "personal" or "family" reasons....not to start another band. I know better though, 'cause he told me EXACTLY why he was leaving, and it's because he's fed up with the singer's $**t.
    The problem I'm having is the fact we all played so well together, it really is just one member's attitude that is a problem. He does have an incredible voice though, and that is the only reason he's been able to get away with the crap...up until now. One of the guitar players is also tight with the singer on a professional level, they are both attorneys (there's our problem right there!) and he would be reluctant to give the singer the boot. So, I guess I see three choices in front of me (will it be door#1, #2, or #3?). Those choices are:
    stick with the band and audition drummers, and put up with Lead Singer Disease, or quit the band and try to find another, or get the drummer and lead guitarist to start another band.

Bottom line is I won't be putting any gig money in my pocket for a while. I'll miss that...I was able to have a totally cash Christmas this year because I saved all my gig money for the past year.

Arrrrrrgggghhhh, damn singers!

17. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Maybe I can help, I know some drummers and maybe some bands looking for a bassplayer. PM me the details of what you are looking for as far a drummers, style of music, age etc. Or if your interested in joining another band let me know what you are looking for. What band are you in anyway? Vinnie

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    *sigh* LSD definitely blows chunks. My band suffers from it, only it's not LSD, it's LGD. My drummer and I almost split because of it, and we're giving the guitarist two chances to stop being a prick before we boot him. Our lead singer's talking to him about it, and then, if it still doesn't change anything, then the drummer and I will talk about it, and explain in very short words exactly what will happen if he doesn't shape up.

So the basic moral is...get the drummer back and boot the singer.