Drummer looking to start bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kim, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Kim

Aug 18, 2005
    Chicago Suburbs
    I have been playing drums off and on for about 10 years and I have always wanted to learn bass guitar. I am looking for a bass that is versatile enough to play almost all kinds of music. In my current band we play mostly classic rock covers but we also dab into country and pop music. I have checked out the Spector brand at the local GC and I liked how it felt in my hands. I am looking for something with a slim neck as well, since my hands are not that big. Any thoughts on which make and model I should check out? Looking to spend up to $1000.

I have a friend that is selling a Yorkville XS400H head for a good price. I plan on getting a Schroeder Mini 12x or 1210 cabinet. I read good things about these items in the amp section.
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    USA Fender Precision Bass Standard.

It can handle every style and never looks or sounds out of place. If you're only going to have one bass, that's the one to have.

Not a slim neck, but then again Spector 4 strings aren't exactly known for a slim neck either.

IMO of course.
  3. Kim

Aug 18, 2005
    Chicago Suburbs
    Is Fender my only choice when it comes to precision basses?
  4. Bo_H

Jul 2, 2004
    No. The Fender P-bass is just one style among many that has been copied. Jazz bass copies abound as well. If money is an issue, then consider a Mexican made P-bass (Standard Precision) or even a Squier P. I have heard mixed reactions over them, but most people I have spoken to like the lower range models. You may be giving up some quality control, but keep your eye open and play lots of basses and you will find one you like. Good luck!
  5. Kim

Aug 18, 2005
    Chicago Suburbs
    Thanks for the replies. I will look at the Fender model and the cheaper copies next time I go to GC. Are the Spector models out of the question though? Or are they made for only a certain type of sound?

Is a 5 string bass a good starter bass?
  6. relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    I prefer Fender Jazz basses to P-basses. Though I have played some really pretty P-basses that I've loved, I just can't fall in love with the chunkier neck. The J-bass is easier to play because of the skinnier neck. Also has a different sound (more midrangey and more flexible due to 2 pickups vs one). Try a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass when you go to GC. I had one once and I can highly recommend it (wish I still had it, but needed the $). The cheaper copies just don't do it, except the SX which is ok but not quite the real thing (can be modified).
    Personally I don't like Spectors. That's just me. Stingrays are nice also.
    You could also have some fun building a Warmoth bass, but that takes a little work. Still, within your budget, the options are huge with Warmoth.
  7. mlu

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I think you are better off staying aay from spectors. Yeah they are great basses, but not something you are probably looking for. But hey is up to you, you get what feels right.

As for starting out on a 5 string, it is a good and bad thing. If you start out on a 5, you wont have to go through the transition that most 4 string players go through when they switch to 5 (I hada touhg time). The bad thing is though it might be just a little overwhleming for your first time playing a bass. But then again guitar players do it. So no worries
  8. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I like Spector basses. They're ergonomic and comfortable. However, they tend to have a more "modern" "hi-fi" tone. I love it, personally.

When it comes to Fender styled basses, I definitely prefer the Jazz bass to the Presicion (P) bass. The Jazz tends to have a slimmer neck and the two pickups give you a good variety of tones. Ibanez Soundgears have among the narrowest "pencil" necks, but even those with small hands often find those necks too skinny.

At your $1000 price point, if you're not averse to buying used, you can likely get a higher end bass used. I must admit, though, that the choices available for bassists these days are overwhelming. Back in ye olden days it was, like, either Fender or Ibanez.

What kind of amp do you play through? Is it loud enough? If not, you may want to consider getting a bigger amp too. $1000 can get you a decent bass AND amp.

But if $1000 is allotted for the instrument alone, if you're willing to stretch that a little, you can have fellow TBer Nino Valenti (http://www.valentibasses.com) or JJ Helms (http://www.jjhelms.com) hand build you a bass.

Either way, buy the best stuff you can afford.
  9. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    The only thing is- how do you know you're going to want to stick with bass? Honestly, you may start it up seriously, and then hate it. I would reconmend getting a SX bass (I would get the J since I like j basses, but they make a p too) 1st www.rondomusic.com has them, see how you like bass after 6 months or so (of lessons or what have you). Then I would move up into the higher end bass's. For the higher end bass's I would probably say the American fender is a great choice. A stingray can also be a great choice.

Now onto the spector issue. If you like it- go for it. If you don't- don't. I personally hate spectors. Only ones I have liked are the exotic wooded ones, and those can't be less than 1000. The necks just don't feel right to me. But then again to me if it isn't a fender style neck, I probably won't like it. When you start on a P you get used to that feel- and you get comfortable with that feel of the P bass. Thats just my opinion. Also the newer spectors aren't made that well. The soldering on the inside is some what questionable (yes i've opened up my friends, and it was shotty). Again, my opinion.

Conclusion: Buy what you like.
  10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    All good opinions here.

You're going to love playing bass. It is a very satisfying instrument to play. The only problem is that if you screw up it sticks out like a sore thumb.
  11. Kim

Aug 18, 2005
    Chicago Suburbs
    Thanks for all the replies. I haven't been able to go to the store lately but will check out the Fender Jazz. The Jazz guitar looks nice, especially with the thinner neck. I am not worried about spending too much cuz my husband plays guitar and he will use the bass too. We have in the past bought cheap gear (for guitar and drums) and regretted it, losing money in the process. I have a XS400h I can get from a friend but haven't decided on which cab to get. I guess I will post over in the amp section.

BTW, this forum rocks!! Lots of good info on this site!!
  12. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I love my Spector personally.. But I think I'd have to agree that it might not fit in every application.

By the way, the Yorkville head is muy bien.
  13. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I love my SX...

but thats just me.
  14. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Back in MY olden days, it was Fender or Gibson or Danelectro/Silvertone or Ampeg.
  15. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Fender Jazz. Versatile, classic. Nuff said.
  16. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Listen the cheeze man, he speaks wisely!!
    You also mentioned 5 strings. Try some 5 string jazzes and see if there comfy for you compared with the 4's. There's nothing wrong with learning on a 5 and that's one transition you will not need to make later if you decide to switch.
  17. I have a spector NS2000, korean made, and MIM fretless jazz bass.

I like everything on spector except the pickups, I never fancied that EMG-HZ sound. It's not that its "modern" sound, its that it sounds like cardboard. I might switch them for barts or something.