Drummer may be AWOL...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by invader3k, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Argh...things were going relatively well with our band. Our last practice went really well, etc. Anyway, as of last week, we haven't been able to reach our drummer at all. He only has one phone number (his cell), and any time we try to call the message comes up "this user is not currently accepting calls...please try again later." We assume this means he cancelled his account, or didn't pay his bill (which has happened before).

We have no other way of reaching him right now...he was with his mom, but she moves around a lot and was recently remarried, taking her new husband's name apparently (which we don't know). The guy recently broke up with his girlfriend, so she wouldn't be any help, even if we knew her number. He hadn't really been holding down any type of regular job lately, and had been talking about moving, so we figure he's moved, but we don't know _where_.

Argh...this is such crap. Something similar happened with our first drummer a couple years ago...just stopped answering his phone or responding to e-mails. That's why we had to find this second guy in the first place...and now he's apparently AWOL as well.

I guess we're going to give it another week or so, and if we can't get a hold of him, start looking for another drummer. The thought of again taking out an ad in the paper, and again having a drummer learn all our songs is really irritating.

I needed to vent.
  2. bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    When I got back into the band thing a few years ago (after a 15 year layoff), a friendly salesdude at GC said something that stuck with me, "You'll meet some REAL "interesting" people in this business". Boy howdy, he was right.

I'm actually writing this reply, as I was on the other end of this issue, recently. After playing with a local gigging band from '01 to '03, I was getting pretty tired of making the hour-long trip to rehearsals and gigs while watching our singer behave like an @$$ in front of our audiences (like you hear on the 10pm news, "alcohol was involved"). The drummer was also having motivational issues, which left the rest of us hauling a lot of gear (strong backs, weak minds on our parts). As the fellas were pretty cool otherwise, I made and amicable split with the band after giving them a few weeks to secure a new bass player. About 4 months ago, the wife and I moved up to the same side of town as the band (now I'm 15 minutes away from the other fellas and studio). It just so happened that the drummer had been replaced with a more energetic fella, AND the replacement bass player was pulling the exact same stunt as invader3k's drummer: dropped off the face of the Earth with no notice. The band had a couple of gigs lined up so I agreed to sit in as a hired gun. By gum, with the change in personnel, and the singer's overall reduction in alcohol consumption, the Kharma had made a 100% turnaround! I'm happy to say that I've not only re-joined my old bandmates, but we are actually writing our best material ever!

Unfortunately, timing and chemistry are probably just as important as talent and transportation (a not-so-veiled dig at some former bandmates) for the sucess of most bands. Chin-up, the next drummer may be your Kharmic brother! I hear Stuart Copeland is between gigs... ;)
  3. Yeah...thanks for the input. I think we're going to be very careful about the next person we have drum with us. Funny thing is, last June when our drummer joined us, we felt very fourtunate, because he is a very good player. But if he's not around, it's a moot point.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What you have is the classic drummer. What's the problem?
  5. You're right, it is the classic drummer.

*sigh* I guess I'm bummed because I was hoping we'd be able to get a few more gigs in yet this summer...guess that won't be happening now, since we'll likely be looking for someone new...

Ever get the feeling that you could get so much done if everything and everyone around you wasn't failing you constantly?
  6. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Irritating but it happens, one of my mates has gone AWOL for a week now, will probably turn up a few weeks later having ended up at a girls house in Norfolk or something stupid like that, he has a habit of doing this. Still, could've been worse, he could've done a Lars Ulrich on you (he no showed for Metallica at the Donnington Festival in '04 when they were topping the bill).
  7. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    my band exactly. however, be glad you're not spinal tap...even though that was the first thing i thought of when i read your post.

maybe he spontaneously combusted. it happens quite often you know; it's just not frequently reported.
  8. check the FBI's 10 most wanted list...
  9. LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    Completely unacceptable. You have to be ready and willing to cut people loose (I mean you don't have ot be a jerk about it but...). I am pretty laid back in general, but I am serious about music, if someone can't behave responsibly, they are really wasting your time. Don't let someone else make you look like an idiot.
  10. Yeah, we still haven't heard from him, and his phone number still isn't working, so I'm probably going to place a classified ad later this week, and probably a posting on a local band info site as well...
  11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hooo! I just visited your web site to see:
    "We have been together for approximately four years (though Mike just joined in July '04, replacing our previous drummer who went AWOL)."

But... as soon as I saw the fact that he 'lives with his mother, who moves around alot', It started to make a little more sense.

(edit) Oh! ...and remember: MilwaukeeRocks.com might be a good source for musicians. There's a pretty big 'musicians available' section, as well as 'wanted', and they're not just for Milwaukee! When I was recently looking for a new gig (I keep considering starting a thread about MY latest band-adventure here...) there were fourty-five bassist wanted ads!
  12. Yeah, kind of ironic we were basically in this exact same situation a little over a year ago :p

I will check out MilwaukeeRocks.com. I've already placed notices on WIbands and Madison Musicians Net.
  13. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    You sure like... he is ok and stuff? maybe calling your local police department to see if he is not on their list? ie hopsital etc etc...
  14. Oh...well, our guitarist/singer heard second hand that he had moved to a town about 30-45 minutes from here...and get this...it turns out he moved in with our old lead guitarist (who was a total dick when he was in our band). We don't want anything to do with that guy. Plus, the drummer's phone still doesn't work (ie the message "this customer is not accepting any calls"). We're assuming he doesn't want to be playing with us anymore, if he hasn't bothered to get in touch at all.

I guess in a way it sucks that he's gone because he was a good drummer, but we're not crying over it because he wasn't reliable enough, and sometimes drank too much anyway.
  15. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

your'e better off without him ...

good luck with the band .