Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drummer: "My bass player is driving me nuts".

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Oxford, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Hi folks

I am a drummer in classic rock band, and my bass player is making me crazy.

What he does is play ahead of the beat and plays way too many notes. I mean, like in "You Really Got Me" it's a simple base riff - right? Our old bass player (had to leave-got job out of state :crying: ) would play that simple, minimal riff right on TOP of my bass drum pattern. We sounded very tight and the lead guitar had a nice foundation to do his thing. Made my job so easy. We hooked up and took off.

This new guy is very experienced (he claims) , has expensive equipment and claims to have played in many bands and recorded in LA. So is this style some hot new trend or something?

I've asked him to cut that crap out and help me get a groove going but pretty soon he's ahead of the beat and doing his "bum-bitty-bum-bum-bum-bitty-bitty-bum happy-fingers stuff" :rollno: This is not some freaking jazz fusion band, dude. Make it simple!! Sounds like he is rushing the song all the time.

Am I missing something? I cannot seem to get a pocket going with that kind of playing. Is it me? And is this an acceptable style for classic rock music and I am just not getting it?

Thanks for your thoughts!:help:

thanks
    OX

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I feel your pain bro. We've been complaining about drummers who play like you bass player for YEARS.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    No matter what instrument, you're going to end up with some no talent wankers who can't groove. I'd say ditch him.

4. Ya wanna move to Texas and play with me?? ;) Or at least teach my drummer how to quit trying to do 50,000 drum solos?? :spit:

I would have to agree with Matt. If he isn't working out, tell him to fix it or move on. That's all you can do.

5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

We talk a lot about groove and how to achieve it.

The guy needs a good dose of James Brown. Or
    wear a T-shirt that says 'Stay on the ONE!'.

If you guys can't get in synch, there are plenty more
    behind him that want the gig.

6. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    It looks there are really 2 issues here. One is overplaying and the other is playing ahead of the beat.

Sometimes bass flls can make a song. The actual bass line for the Kink's version or YRGM is pretty pedestrian, and could use some nice bass licks. I'm not going to say he should doMichael Anthony's Van Halen version, because then it's no longer classic rock, but he should be allowed some lattitude to add interest to the bass line.

Consistantly playing ahead of the beat, however, is inexcusable.

You and your fellow band members, and even the bass player in question would probably be happier if he moved to a different situation.

IMHO

Are bass players that hard to find were you are?

7. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Maybe the bassist just doesn't like doing covers. I get bored doing covers too, so the result with me might be the same.

He could be extremly talented, try comming up with some original songs before you completly shrug him off.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I doubt it.

9. maybe you are playing one beat too slow? ;)

10. We were kicking back having some beers and our bass player starts laughing say he drives bands crazy.

Later he said he likes to play ahead of the beat and play alot of notes. :rollno:

11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Cut off his index finger on both hands, that ought to slow him down a tad.

Or start covering fusion music.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    It is about context.
    I think when we're 'young'(maybe inexperienced players), we go through the phase of 'playing the spaces' with as much as we can fit in.
    Later, I guess, we realize that SPACE & silence/rests are all part of what we play.
    A well-placed REST can make a line happen...it's like a caesura in poetry(anyone ever see Eddie & The Cruisers?) ;)

A tune like that Kinks' song almost requires 'playing stoopid'...an art unto itself.

13. I think you know what to do

[​IMG]

14. + 1

I dont really like covers either, but whatever we do, my main concern is always to make the groove WITH the drummer. make a tight rhythm section... the drums/bass wanking can then be set on top of that WHEN appropriate and without stepping on eachother's toes.

Seems like your boy has an Axl/HetField/Lars type A.D.D. Syndrome type thing...

15. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    He's pushing the pocket and has no sense of groove or feel. He don't get it! I at times have to play "follow the drummer" but you know what, I glue it together. I am a drummer as well so I love playing with a good drummer, I can anticipate what's going to happen and lock in. Try speeding up to catch him to make your point, the tune will take off like a rocket ship.

16. I know I did...probably because I learned by playing lots of punk rock stuff, like the Ramones, I felt I had to cram in as many notes as possible, and never used rests or quiet. I figured I had to keep generating noise, or people wouldn't feel the song. I eventually figured that there could be space between each note, and the song could still work ;)

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Some bassist just... should be guitarists. :smug:

18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    It sounds like this isn't the first time, and it sounds like he knows that he's doing it...or maybe he's just getting defensive. It doesn't sound like he's interested in compromise or working on things. :(

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So let's see. I get bored playing covers, so I'll just screw up the song so the band sounds like doodoo. Makes sense to me. I take it you fancy yourself to be "extremely talented", but not above making it sound like crap because you're in the wrong band.

20. We are going to see how the gig goes tomorrow. He knows how I feel. If he continues to play "lead bass" then we will just cut him loose. Too bad. The guy has talent and is fun to hang with but if ya don't have respect for the pocket...you ain't helping.

Thanks for the replies.

OX