Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drummer needs a bass recommendation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blecrone, Sep 19, 2003.

1. blecrone

blecrone

Sep 19, 2003
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hi,

A kind fellow over at vdrums.com referred me here. Hope you all can help.

I lead the sound crew and also play drums at the church where I serve and we are going to purchase a "community" bass and amp for our 3 or 4 bass players to use for our worship services. We have a budget of about $300 to $400, not much.

One of our bass players owns a Squier P-bass and he thinks that would be a good model to get, plus it fits within our budget. We are also considering a Yamaha RBX170 and an Ibanez GSR100. We need something durable and easy to play, of decent quality that can give us a decent sound. All of our musicians are novice to amateur so we don't need anything super nice, just something basic that has a decent sound.

As far as amps, we're thinking 50W max. We'd like to use it mostly for stage monitoring. We will send a parallel singnal to FOH.

Thanks!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dont get the Squier, go with a made in mexico fender jazz bass.

3. blecrone

blecrone

Sep 19, 2003
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Care to elaborate? I'm thinking that might be out of our budget.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Of your choices listed I'd buy the Yamaha. Washbrn has some ok cheap basses as well.

A lot of people here recommend the basses from Rondo Music (Essex, SX, Brice, etc). You can search out the "Essex Mega Thread" for more info on that.

Budget Amp... I'll let the others field that. I will add though, if you've got PA enough to push the bass to the house... why not grab a cheap DI and an extra 1x15 monitor?

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    this one is what he was talking about.

This is Rondo ... the SX SPJ-62 Vintage Series is what I'd grab if I was personally in your situation.

6. yea, I haven't played an essex but a lot of people love 'em here...try and reccommend that as well as Tony Levin's Funk Fingers :spit:

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Squiers are cheaply made... and i wouldnt trust them with 4-5 different people using it.

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Used Fender for sure!

9. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I second the Essex. I posted and asked about the quality of the Essex before going out and actually buying it(my thread apparently received alot more responses thus it was merged with the original essex thread which eventually became the megathread). Anyways, everyone spoke really highly of Essex basses and I actually went out that same day and bought it(go figure).

It was a very solid, well-made bass and I was able to get alot of good tones out of my Essex SJB-62(Jazz Bass copy). It definitely can withstand abuse(I've dropped it on many occasions)

The bass sounded very good for the price with stock electronics, imagine what it would sound like with a set of non-stock pickups in it. I'd definitely recommend it. Furthermore, the Essex is a Fender copy so you could upgrade it easily. If the bassists find a need to improve it by replacing the pickups, tuning pegs, etc. they can easily do so.

10. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Squiers have been known to fall apart even with one person playing em... I wouldn't get one, the Rondo/Essex are highly regarded around here, and I'd say getting a used Made in Mexico Fender might be in your range if you find a good deal.

11. Just one thing I'd like to point out with the Essex basses. Most likely you'll have to have the bass setup by someone who knows how to setup a bass. Usually the Essex basses have an excessively high action (string height). It might be due to humidity and temperature differences between the factory and America.

Another point is that if you have any problems with the setup or the bass in general, contact Rondo ASAP. Rondo has very good customer service so you should be ok.

ed

12. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Yamaha or Essex(as mentioned in my previous post)

I had a Yamaha RBX370A and it was good as anything out there for the price.

You can't go wrong with Yamaha or Essex but I'd say get the Essex, they're cheaper than the Yamaha, you can get them for just a little over a hundred dollars and have the extra money for a good amplifier, modifications, etc.

13. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    I was at Rondo yesterday, and played a variety of Essex Basses, and they seemed relatively well put together for the price. I'd reccomend an essex over anything lower than a mexican built bass as far as the Fender food chain goes. The tone was definately surprising through a Yorkville combo. The only thing about the essexs that I couldn't get over were the side dots-- it looks like they stabbed little holes in the side of the neck with an exacto knife then colored the holes in with a black marker and hard finished over it. But with the price point starting at 110 dollars I really can't complain.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Get a Fender Bassman 60 for the amp. You're going to have to spend a little more than $400 for both the bass and amp, but a Mexican Fender Jazz Bass and the Bassman 60 will sound good and last a while. Have an experienced bass player pick the bass from a bunch of them if you can. The Mexican instruments are variable, but you can get a very nice one if you audition a few.

Hold a bass equipment GAS bake sale and car wash to raise the dough. Shoot, you may get enough money to go with Lakland/Eden.

15. i would second this, i personally own both a made in mex jazz and a bassman 60 watt amp and they are GREAT for what you are looking for. but as he said it would require more money. i payed 250 for the bass (new) and 300 for the amp (also new, but i got a good deal, i think they normally run higher)

good luck man :)

16. blecrone

blecrone

Sep 19, 2003
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Well, after reading all your recommendations and soliciting advice from several other sources, I've decided to not get an amp and just focus on a decent bass. We have an amp that we can use if we need to but most often we run the bass direct through a Sans Amp DI.

So at this point I've narrowed it down to a Fender Standard Jazz or a G&L Tribute L2000.

With the players we have (inexperienced) I think active electronics might not be necessary. New, the G&L is a little more than the Fender (~$500 including a soft case). The thing I like about the G&L is that it has toggle switches to turn the actives on and off, so that gives us the option. Plus the G&L pickups are made in the USA. Anyone know if any part of the mexican made Fenders are made in the US? I'm not opposed to the Fender, I know it would serve us well.

I'd appreciate your thoughts/comments about the above two choices.

Thanks,

Brandon Lecrone

17. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    If the bassists are not that 'experienced,' I would think the G&L setup might be a little daunting (to someone not familiar with the layout.) It's very different from most configs. They're great basses, but I wonder if simplicity might not be the priority with so many people using one bass. Plus, more switches = more parts to wear out if it's seeing a lot of action. Personally, I'd prefer the G&L, they are really nice, but you can get a used US G&L for pretty close to the import Tribute prices.
    I think that each player would have to get a little lesson in using the G&L though, if they just crank everything all the way up, they're liable to get a pretty nasty tone. G&L's take a little finesse/know-how to coax the best from them. Doesn't take long, but you do need to learn it.

If you go w/ a Mexican Fender, definitely try as many as you can to find the one that doesn't stink, as has been alluded to.

Either one would be a pretty solid choice for a bass that's going to get handled a LOT. More learning curve on the G&L, but more variety in the long run too.

18. JWBass

JWBass

Jul 20, 2001
    Levittown, PA
    Dude, with 3 or 4 different players, get a hard shell case. It soundls like this instrument has to last the church awhile.

19. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, they're both better choices than a squier, that's for certain. The Fender MIM basses are hit & miss. Make sure you try out the one you'll by. I hear GREAT things about the G&L Tributes, & almost bought one myself. But, I understand your budget concerns,,,, I'd say if you get a good MIM Jazz, you should be GTG. Just make sure of it.