drummer problem

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Nov 9, 2004.

1. my band plays blues and we are only 15/14 years old, we have been playing for about 1 and 1/2 years, and everything is great, but our drummer has a timming problem and has a hard time listening. my and my guiatrest were jamming with this great drummer (that kept time) and we then played with our drummer and there was huge differnece, this is when i new something had to be done. what should i tell him, what are some tips for keeping better time besides listneing to a metrognome?

you can listen to us at http://www.aznightbuzz.com/lennon/battle04_entries.php
    we are THE NIGHT OWLS makeshure you liastne to the right band.
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    out with the old, in with the new.
  3. i dont know man its a hard thing.

i dont know if i could do that, hes one of my best friends to.
  4. make him your percussionist
  5. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Well, get rid of him, or work with him... Why dont you and him play together, just the two of you? Work on Timing, Start easy in like 4/4 time and Slow.

But besides that... IS he trying to be the "Fill King"
  6. yes!!!!! he lo0ves to do fills but this is when he losses time.
  7. I've had experience with drummers that overplay
    Unless he puts in the work ( timing ) you guys would always be one step further than him
    But if he does great! you just have to give yourselfs a bit of time to not only gel together as a unit but for him to catch up musicianship wise
  8. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Thats always the problem with new drummers... You should show him stuff Like Yes, Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, King Crimson, Dixie Dregs, Rush... NOT VIRGIL DONATI!

Often I have actually come to find "Less is More" all the time on the drums... The occasional "Off Beat" or "Triplet/Septuplet/Sextuplet" Mixed into the Reagular beat can really add flavor and structure to the composition(Usually and "OFF" or "Odd" number of beats is an easy way to aquire a Progressive sound, hence the "Triplet/Septuplet/Sextuplet" idea), Rather than some kid hitting every drum as fast as he can. Most drummers can really get better agility/creativity/stamina by playing in "Progressive Style". Look into those bands and show him some of there unique sound, the drummer in each of those bands are very talented.
  9. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    If he has a good attitude and is open minded then you need to tell him where his faults are then come up with things to help him fix it. My drummer has been playing for 2 years and is all over the place so I know how you feel and it affects how you play. But the guy understands he needs to work on some things and is open minded. First I would suggest some drum lessons with a blues or jazz drummer. Anyone can play rock or punk, but if you learn how to groove and have good timing you can apply those things to any style of music. I would also have him study some good blues bands and listen the the drummer how they groove and play so he could understand what playing drums with blues is all about, it's all about feel and groove not fills. Gospel is awesome for drummers and bass players because it contains elements of jazz, blues, funk, hip hop, r&b and it's all about timing and groove. I hope you noticed I used the term "groove" a lot here.

Metronome obviously. I would have him put the nome on half notes hitting on the 2 and 4 of the measure. He should make sure his snare hits on the 2 and 4 with the nome while playing the beat but groove behind the snare hits creating that bluesy feel. As long as his snare hits are in time on the 2 and the 4 he will understand how he can manipulate the pocket and still play with feel while playing "in time".
  10. Have him listen to a suburban gnome. I agree that metropolitan gnomes are worthless. Too much attitude.

Just try asking this guy anything

- Dave
  11. geshel

Oct 2, 2001

GNOME PR0N@!