Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drummer Problem

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassDodger, Jul 17, 2002.

1. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    I play in 2 bands- one is an original act, the other does almost strictly covers. Now, I have been playing Bass for 20 years (I'm 33) and I am having a real problrm with the drummer of the Cover band- the kinda problem that I just can't put my finger on (no pun intended)...

He's a really great drummer. He plays like he's been doing it at least as long as I have. He even has some "showmanship" to his act. This is a rock cover band. The other players are older- this is cool because while growing up, I kinda looked up to these guys- but now onto the drummer problem....and I play Bass for them. He wants to impress as much as I...Here's the problem.

At the end of a song, if we go into a "fanfare" ending, I cannot, FOR THE LIFE OF ME, hit the last note with him: he either hits it too early or late- which as you know, is Not A Good Thing. It's kinda the same way in the song itself- I have to struggle to get into time with him. Now I have played with alot of drummers in my career. There is only one other that I can think of that shared this same "problem". All other drummers seem to have always laid a groove with me. But this guy is so different. You have to work twice as hard within IN song- the Fanfare-thing- I more LOST that I can remember that I ever had been.

I have been thinking on this for a few minths...I was just curious as to what ya'll would say about it....

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sounds like your rhythym section ain't tight. And as you know ...

3. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    talk to the man on the skins, 1 up 2 up 3 up 4 up. maybe set some guidelines for that last note, that first note.. how you come in, how you go out. communicating and setting some rules is the only way, especially if he's a showman.

g'luck

4. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    It is sometimes hard to get into groove with a new drummer. I guess it has something to do with how each other feel about the rhythm. Some drummers are more laid-back than others. It should work out with practice. Then again, your drummer may have timing problems, which is much worse case since you have nothing to lock on.

5. In an old Bass Player article from many years ago, Jim Keltner stated that "not every bass player can work with every drummer". What he meant was that the chemistry sometimes is not there, regardless of how experienced you are. He also said it happens to the top pros as much as to the amateur. I have been playing for 20 odd years, and there are a couple of drummers around town that I just cant seem to click with, yet other bass players have no problem with them.
    Another article in a Modern Drummer mag stated that everyone feels time slightly differently.
    Maybe it's just of of those things.....

6. stroggnoy

stroggnoy Guest

Jul 11, 2002
    That's ridiculous that he can't hit that with you. Tell him to write it out on paper and grab a metronome. I seriously don't know how anyone that's played 20 years could have a problem like that after several attempts.

As for bassists and drummers "clicking," sure, I guess maybe two people may not sound great together (their styles clash), but there should never be a problem with staying in time and playing on the beat unless someone's an amateur. Have you tried telling the drummer what beat it's on, like the & of 2?

7. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    ive noticed the better friends and closer i am with the drummer, the better we flow together. When i first started playing with my current drummer we kinda were off alot. Now hes my best friend and weve played together for 3 years. We're one of the tightest rythm sections around where i live. Our singer and guitarist are about to leave for school in a few weeks and weve already had tons of guitarists and singers ask to fill their spots. Id say just being cool and having fun with him is the best advice, everything else will come. Of course my advice to u is kinda pointless cuz youve had a good 10 more years than me of being in bands. It might of just been sumthing you forgot though, fun comes first.

8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If he is experienced and has some showmanship, he should be able to give you (and the other band members) some kind of physical cue, like a heavy lean forward, or a head-nod or something, to signal when he's going to nail that last note.

9. If I only had 10 cents for every time the subject "Drummer Problem" appears in these forums........;)

10. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Tell me about it. 'Drummer Problem' is what's been setting my band back repeatedly in past months. We just keep hooking up with unreliable deadbeats, then we end up having to cut them.

Having gone through several drummers throughout the past few months, I agree with the sentiment above that suggests different players feel 'time' differently.

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I always had the good fortune of playing with great drummers, which were also great guys to hang out with. The last two drummers are my best friends.

12. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    Ok- thanks for your inputs- I thought for the longest time I had the prob, but I also just got off the phone with the guitar player- he agrees with me- to a CERTAIN extent (he IS a guitar player after all).

I think this is the nexus of the problem, then. It's just a "chemistry thing". I like the guy, we get along well enough, it's just that eventhough we have had almost the same upbringing and are close to the same age, sometimes it just won't happen.

For the most part, I think I will just continue the struggle. I have dropped hints and said outright that I can find the last note with him, but he seems not to notice it. As far as genereal in-song timing, I guess I'm just gonna have to suffer through it a bit. I HAVE noticed just latley that if I ride the time, he follows if I do it like a tiny bit ahead of tempo- but he will fight me to bring it down (I guess this means HE'S struggling). I think this means he's played with a recording before...LOL :) :rolleyes: :D