Drummer problems

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lloyd Christmas, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Hey all, I have a bit of a tricky situation here with our drummer and I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar position or has any suggestions.

The basic problem is that our drummer has incredibly poor taste in deciding what to play for any given song. Regardless of what we are playing he always plays LOUD and fast drum beats with a lot of repetitive fills and a ridiculous number of cymbals. He won't even participate if we attempt to play anything other than hard rock or heavy metal and he is much more interested in beating the crap out of his drums and drowning out the other members of the band than he is in making music.

I had recorded a song on my computer which I played for my band today and they agreed to learn how to play it. The drum beat I used for the song was fairly simple but it fit very well with the song. Of course, when we attempted to play the song he refused to use that drum beat and came up with his own, and in the process he completely ruined the song.
    He gets extremely offended if you criticize his playing so it is difficult to tell him what to play. If he was just some guy we hired we could just kick him out of the band, but he is a friend we have had since elementary school and he bought drums just to be in our band. Any suggestions or similar stories?
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Tell him to play correctly or get out. It sucks to do that to a friend but if his playing is effecting the music negatively then it must be done.

Before making the decision to boot him
    1. Find out if he actually can play slow beat without ridiculous fills
    2. Coach him on deciding when a fill destroys a groove or makes it.
    3. Give him time, while reinforcing what you want out of him
    4. Since he listens to only heavy music, give him soft music with musically appropriate drumming and tell him to learn/transcribe it
    5. Teach him that 90% of the time less is more, unless the song you are playing is Moby Dick, or the La Villa Strangiato (or whatever that insane Neil Peart drum solo is).

Hope it works out for your band and your drummer
  3. Sounds like he belongs in a metal/punk/hard rock band. Just becasue you give him the boot doesnt mean it'll ruin your friendship, just explain that he doesnt fit and none of you will be happy with him there.
  4. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Give him to me. I can't find a drummer to save my flipping life out here.
  5. I feel for you man. My band auditioned a drummer very similar to what you described last Friday. It was the first time in years that I've had to wear earplugs; and that's just to block out his onslaught on a soft ballad! He also hadn't even bothered to learn the four songs we had given him a month and a demo CD to learn from. Needless to say, he won't be coming back.
    I reckon, if your drummer friend won't be sensitive to your music and your feelings, then he's eventually going to destroy your friendship as well. It's better for all concerned to be straight and honest and tell him to either shape up, or ship out.
    Good luck.