Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drummer problems

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by terms bassist, Jul 16, 2001.

1. I'm in a band, and we are having serious drummers problems. after 8 months we have done pretty dam well. We've supported some of Australias big Acts, such as Frenzal Rhomb, sunk loto, testeagles and International Act "Strung Out". Myself and two of the other members have decided we have hit our peak in our home town (population of 16,000 not to big) and it's time to reloacte. But theres the problem our drummer is slowly loosing interest, he never returns our calls is always to busy to practise, it takes me about two day's to get in contact with him to get him to rehersals. but he's an awesome drummer and an awesome friend. do you think it's time we get ourselves another drummer or should we try and talk some sence into him, we want to make a living out of music, but can we afford to wait for the drummer?

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    That's a pretty tough one. Being somewhat in the same boat, I feel your pain. The drummer in my current band is a guy I've played with for the last six years, through 2 bands. We have this chemistry, ya know? I really lobbied for him to be in my current band, but same thing. Whenever I call, I get his answering machine, never returns calls, etc. He's in his forties, and his mom and ex are always calling me to get ahold of him...

The guys in the band dig his playing, but are concerned with his reliability, (at one gig, while another drummer was sitting in for 'one' song, Eric left and went to check on his dog. We had to finish the set with the guy sitting in!!)...

The problem is, I've played with so many different drummers, and this is the one that really works. I guess you'll have to decide if he's worth the hassles...

-robert

PS Thanks for letting me rant!

3. We recently had to part company with one of our guitarists due to increasing concerns we had about his commitment, both to the band and to his guitar playing in general.

We spoke with the guy about three times in an attempt to get him back on track, but it failed.

I think the situation is typically this; either he has personal problems that he needs to sort out (by all means be supportive if this is the case) or, more often than not, he's lost interest, either in the band or in his playing.

If that's the case, there's pretty much nothing you can do.

Incidentally, we replaced our guitarist very quickly, and we haven't looked back! The new guy is amazing. So, I guess there's another lesson in that you can never tell whether a change of personnel will benefit you.

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Why does it seem like everyone with a band has to deal with some slacker? Do these people realize that being successful is hard work and dedication? My guitarist seems to think that some exec from Warner Bros or Geffen or what-have-you is going to just knock on his door and offer him a contract. I mean, the guy is too lazy to write his own profile page for our website. Cry-eye people!