drummer problems

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 3 crotch grabs, May 20, 2003.

1. [rant]

I seem to have the worst luck when it comes to the beaters of skins.

A little back story...

A good friend of mine (guitar player) recently lost his drummer to a car accident, and his bass player moved away. I lost my band around the same time. We decided to join our powers and truly rawk your faces off. We put out an ad for a drummer... got plenty of responses.... found a guy we liked. Great. Seeing how we all live in SF, none of us have a basement or garage to rehearse in, so we had to wait a couple months for our rehearsal space to open up. We gave the drummer our demo's, told him which ones we wanted to work out first. We finally started practicing about a month and a half ago, and the guy didn't know jack. OK, have patience, he's a quick study...

Mind you, the guy is unemployed, and lives with his Grandparents. No bills, no other commitments. Why has he been at least an hour late to each rehearsal? Seriously. And I don't think he's listened to any of the tapes once. It's pretty freaking frustrating. We're putting out another ad today.

Anybody know any drummers in the bay area who owns a watch?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Nah...there are no good drummers in the bay area....none.

3. Ah, a drummer that keeps time but can't tell time.

There are only a select few of us that can do both.
  4. dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX

I didn't think drummers knew how to tell time...

Or read...

So I think it's impressive that you got any responses at all from a written ad. Have you tried leaving a trail of candy bars from the drum section of your local music store to your rehearsal space, and see what kind of response you get from that?

Edited for clarity ;)

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I once hired a drummer that didn't practice between rehearsals either. After about the third time of him saying, "I didn't learn that one" (to damn near every song we'd ask about), I asked him why he wasn't practicing at home. His reply was, "I don't own a drum kit." Hell-o! News flash! You cannot call yourself a drummer if you don't own your own drum kit!

Drummers are worse than the drizzling ***ts.
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Hey I resemble that remark!

I don't own a kit currently, but I am very much a drummer.

I have owned 2 kits in my day and had to get rid of both for various reasons.

I'm gassing for a V-kit real bad though.'

Or I'll just buy a practice pad kit, then install Midi triggers....and then use my brothers drum machine to get cheap(but effective) drum sounds, for practice purposes....yeah...then I'd save about 3000 dollars.:eek:
  7. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    everybotty noes drummer is stoopit. :meh:
  8. what a difference a day makes!

last night, the drummer was late again.
    we put an ad out this morning, we got a response from a guy we've been chasing for two years! his band just broke up.

bringing him in sunday.

9. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Whenever you find a good drummer, you need hold on to him, as there are about three good drummers in california, and they are all in demand.
  10. Donkeybass

May 13, 2003
    Odessa, TX
    The drummer for my band holds his drumsticks like tomohawks. He also insists on playing fills that he cannot do well, and every time he comes back in he DRAAGGGGGGGGGSSSSS. And then I have to jump around and bob my head like a pigeon to get him to look at me so I can speed him up.
    The worst part is that my best friend who lives 7 hours away is possibly one of the best drummers I have ever known. He played center snare for Vangaurd for 2 years, and he tottaly wallops on the drums.
    Oh well, so goes life!

11. Man, my new drummer rocks. He's a great guy and a great drummer (just gotta get him to slow down a wee little bit at gigs - he gets a little nervous I think). It's funny - he introduces me to people as "his" bass player, and I introduce him to people as "my" drummer. The other guys: "they play guitar" :)
  12. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    And not owning a kit is no excuse either. Drums are the one instrument where you can practice songs to a reasonable degree without any equipment.
  13. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Yeah! All you need is a five-gallon pail, one or two oatmeal containers, maybe an ice cream pail, a couple of tin pie plates and a pair of pencils. Viola! Instant practice drum kit.

:D :D :D
  14. What has three legs and an as*h*le?
    A drum stool!

Seriously though ask your drummer if he owns a metronome? I'm always suprised how many drummers don't have a nome!
  15. Our band always had trouble with their drummers (4 or 5 different ones) - most of them were using us more for practicing reasons than anything else, and when they had learnt enough from me (I'm a drummer also) they just quit within a few days to join another band whose musical style suited them better. Stuff like that got us so frustrated that we bought a drum machine in the end! We even played gigs with it! :D

And @ 3 crotch grabs: Good luck with the new man! I hope it'll work out for you guys! :)

And to the guys flaming the drummers in this thread: There are equally crappy bassplayers around, too! I know what I'm talking about.
  16. thanks volker...
    that's funny. we've gigged with drum machines as well. the house soundman always hated us.

new drummer is going to have some serious scheduling problems for a little while, but it will all be straight in about a month.
  17. Really? The soundmen we were dealing with enjoyed the fact they had to mix only 2 channels for drums
    instead of 8.

It just looked a bit "empty" on stage without a drummer - I reckon a drumkit is something like an eye-catcher, and I was more than glad when we finally came across the right person to do the job as a drum machine always plays the same stuff.

18. Jeez, 8 channels for drums? What ever happened to micing just the kick and snare, how big are the rooms you play?
  19. *laughs* Oh you have to ask that the soundmen - we never had our own one, we were always mixed by the venues' house ones :) @ mcbassdude
  20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Now, does this mean you're going steady?