1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Drummer question

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mike o, Dec 9, 2018.

1. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Looking at the drummer from a bass player's perspective, the best drummers I've played with have command of the bass drum.
    A drummer plays lead AND rhythm...the bass (with the bass drum/floor tom) and lead (the other drums in the kit).
    The worst drummers I've played with concentrated more on fills and other "lead drum" stuff and didn't really get bass drum parts down correctly.
    That leads to bad timing when you don't concentrate on the bass drum's position in a song.
    I think the only way he's going to be a better drummer is if he can make himself a better bass (bass drum) player.
    I don't think that's going to happen, because he's probably a "lead" player. He's the kind of guy who probably couldn't grasp the bass guitar,
    but probably could do a passable job as a lead guitar player.

Hope I didn't confuse you.

Kelloggsy likes this.
  2. mike o

mike o Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Monroe, GA
    Update. No click track yet but........ amazingly improvement. After our rehearsal last week following the click track email, I asked the drummer to go out for a few holiday drinks to talk. We spent a good two hours talking about how to improve the rhythm section and how important it was to me personally for him to lock down solid grooves, meter and tempo. So the rehearsal last night was like I was playing with a different drummer. Amazing! He was really solid on timing and actually learned the correct groove/feel/pulse of the songs. I did thank him many times for paying attention. He did omit that he was working hard to get it right.

So what was the problem? Was it he didn’t need or not care to learn the material correctly to begin with? Or maybe this is just how he did it in other bands? Maybe he just wasn’t aware of his role or just wanted the spotlight on himself? I do not know or care really. As long as we continue on this path I’m happy. Thanks everyone for your comments. I hope to give another positive update in a few months.

bassdrummer, ELG60, Mr_Moo and 3 others like this.
  3. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    That's good. Seems like my one and only post #56 was spot on.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I was wondering how long it would take. Don't worry, if you hadn't said it I would have.

5. mike o

mike o Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Monroe, GA
    Update. We did a few more shows, NYE and a another in January. The drummer did his homework. Learned the right drooves feel and tempos. Meters were very good. Played at a lite touch, still sticks but not overly loud. The band sounded soo much better. I thanked the drummer over and over for listening, attention to details and working with the band.

All good right. The BL called me last night stating the drummer is leaving the band and gave us through April to find a replacement. His reason for leaving? “I’m not having fun anymore”. Amazing.

Mr_Moo, joebar and 3Liter like this.
  6. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    Yes, because it became too much "work" learning the nuances and details of the songs. He's clearly kinda lazy and undisciplined. So you're better off without him.

7. mike o

mike o Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Monroe, GA
    Agreed.

3Liter likes this.
  8. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    A drummer with tempo, and dynamics problems is not a drummer, he's a guy who hits drums. Big difference.

edro, mike o, joebar and 2 others like this.
  9. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Clearly, making the music good wasn't where his enjoyment was coming from. Sounds like a guy who would be happier in a jam band where he can relax into his mediocre happy place. I hope you find a great drummer to replace him.

bassdrummer, Mr_Moo and mike o like this.
  10. Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    ^ Yipes!!! Jam band is about the most difficult genre out there, you got to be in the top of the field!

11. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    There are good ones, and then there are not so good ones. I'm thinking about the ones I've mostly seen around here which are in the latter category. A good jam around here is really hard to find.

12. Performed with a working drummer, local, who fully understood he has the Russian dragon syndrome.

His solution was not a click track, but a click light (little l.e.d.) near him.. It kept him consistent with time, start to stop. He would program the bpm for each song, and the end result was good.

My brother, also a drummer of 30+ years, is amazing at his craft. He is another one who is self- aware of tempo recall and consistency, and is still trying to fix it, to this day.

Mr_Moo and oldrocker like this.
  13. Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    ^ I play mostly blues. The drummer can't use a click because WE move the tempo all over the place, and in a good shuffle he can play so far behind the beat he doesn't even respond till the next day. Imagine Stormy Monday, or Whipping Post with a steady tempo, it just wouldn't work.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  14. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    If he can play those 16ths in time, then it could be worse

15. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    You can’t fix lack of talent. I’d be looking to replace him or move on myself.

16. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Nice, he recognized the problem - most important - and devised a solution that works for him.

17. Wow.....just....wow!

18. I was blissfully unaware of my tendency to speed up until a particular teacher called me out on it in front of the class. And I took a little convincing that he was right. That was a great motivation to fix the problem, but doing the work - or not - was all on me.

IamGroot likes this.
  19. So the problem was never a lack of talent or musicianship. It was a lack of desire to apply them to the task at hand.

Or maybe the guy is playing at a higher level, and we're the rubes who can't get beyond playing at a steady tempo. You should get his autograph now, just in case.

20. bassdrummer

bassdrummer Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Visalia, California
    LOL

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019