Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drummer Rant

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Dec 30, 2005.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I play in a cover band. I have a nice amp. It can get very Loud! I have lots of effects, strings, and many frets which to play upon. But, they all have their place, and their use is not necessary in every measure of every song.

So, why is it that drummers, regardless of what the original recording sounds like, have to hit everything on their kit in every song? Even if the fill or crash is not in the recording, they're compelled to put them there!

I played drums for many years and another thought comes to mind: Is there some recently enacted policy out there that pays drummers a stipend by the fill, or cymbal crash these days?

/just askin'.rant off.comments welcome

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I feel for ya P. My drummer doesn't do too many extra things, but unfortunately, that is because he can't count to "four" the same way twice. Wanna swap?

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    You should try playing with a drummer who has a crate full of percussion stuff :rollno:

4. P. Aaron

Yeah, the ones that 'save' those missing beats for some more important song.

5. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    What did the drummer get on his SAT's?
    -- Drool

How can you tell if the stage is level?
    -- Droll comes out of both sides of the drummers mouth

What did the drummer say when he got to his regular gig?
    -- Do you want fries with that?

How can you tell if your drummer is knocking on your door?
    -- The knocks get louder and faster

Felt the need to interject humor... I actually have a solid drummer in one group...

The other drummer I work with is 12... 7th grader.. been playing a couple of years, but not in groups, so he's kinda hit or miss... he's got talent, but hasn't quite learned how to play softly yet...

6. I can see where they can be annoying, but a good drummer can also send chills up my spine.

Luckily for me , the drummer I'm working with now is also a classicaly trained pianist and spent years absorbing guys like Buddy Rich and Billy Cobham and such. Good guy....would lower himself to play with someone 6 years younger.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm totally with you, P. I've had that argument with drummers who bring way too much stuff many times. That's why I try to work wtih drummers who only have small kits.

8. blujax01

blujax01

Nov 16, 2005
    SOME drummers can't count.

SOME drummers use too many fills.

SOME drummers are also bass players and hang out in this forum.

But to your point.

SOME drummers wish to be Neal Peart and think that there should be no space left unfilled. SOME drummers cut their teeth in a drum line that taught them speed is essential and faster is always better. SOME drummers never needed to learn to count as there was always a Dr. Beat pounding tempo into their ears.

You must be playing with one of THOSE drummers...

My bass player has three basses. That's too many.

He's fired.

9. I love jamming with the drummer that I"m usually paired up with. He has been playing since before I was even born. The only problem when we play is that we have to share the kit with another group and their drummer tries to break the skins so we had to insulate with a plexiglass shield and when our group goes to play, it is harder to hear our drummer because he actually knows how to play with dynamics.

10. P. Aaron

AS a youngster, I played drums exhuberantly, but a nice fellow took me aside and taught me to listen to songs and pay attention to the musicians backing the song.

I know that some musicians get excited playing certain things. It doesn't mean the song needs more than what's already there.

The great thing about rock music in particular...is that it doesn't take alot to make a song work.

Folks seem compelled to fill songs with complexity, and when confronted with the original are beuffudled with the simplicity.

They brought their Simon Phillips when Charlie Watts would do.

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    If it's a good drummer, he can play a tambourine for all I care.

12. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

ah yes , DYNAMICS ... that rare and wonderful ingredient .

it's too bad that some people just don't understand ...

it's nice to play with a drummer who can groove with taste and feel ,
    { not trying to play every single cymbal and cowbell he has ...}
    it makes the whole experience much more enjoyable .

13. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    AMEN BROTHER!!!

Although I'm lucky to be playing with a drummer who can out peart peart if he has to or can lay back and just groove.

As a bassist there's nothing better than having a drummer who works with you. This drummer is fantastic..he has all the chops but most importantly he LISTENS to whats going on around him and plays accordingly...

I'm working with a session drummer for an upcoming recording date at the moment and its amazing to watch how he tailors his drumming to how the song arrangements and my bass parts are..

He makes me sound fantastic!!! ;)

14. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I GOTTA HAVE MORE COWBELL BABY!!

:bag:

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I dream of someday playing with a drummer as good as neil peart...to have that kind of skill and taste for innovation at a young age is astounding...

16. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I have been very lucky. Played with four drummers throughout my years, some more than others. Two were in a jazz group. Had a guy that was probably the best technically that I've played with, but he was a showboat sometimes (but not bad). The other jazzer started out as a rocker, and has a tendancy to play loud, but is very, very creative in a subtle way. He's learned dynamics over the past year or so.

The two rock drummers I've played with were both great. One was a Peart freak, but was very good at laying down a good groove. The other, the one I've been played with for seven years, is wonderful. Tends to a bit a bit loud at times, but his playing evolves constantly. His lessons help him out so much.

17. P. Aaron

It took me a number of years to simply listen and play support for those around you. Especially at first, when you're the musician being evaluated. Once they get to know you, and know you're reliable, it's amazing how much they'll support your tastefully played antics.