1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drummer Recording Issues

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by CBAnaesthesia, Aug 16, 2007.

1. CBAnaesthesia

CBAnaesthesia

Jun 2, 2005
    Hey guys,
    As you might have understood from the title, our band has been up to some recording, which has left me unhappy with our drummer's attitude. Now, don't get me wrong, he's a great guy, and I'd say probably my best friend, but while we've been recording, a couple of things have come up. His brother was in a band that was kind of a big deal a few years back (indie label record deal, put out an album, broke up. Pretty standard.), and has a lot of recording gear, etc. that we get to use. Thing is, I'm the only one in our band that doesn't hate recording, and while our guitarists and singer put up with it, the drummer's being a little unreasonable. He has no patience during the process and is only concerned with getting it done quickly. Trying to point out what sounds bad - problems with mixing, dialing in tone, and all that - just pisses him off and he gets all defensive. He keeps saying things like "wait till my brother gets the rest of his gear here and we'll do it over" - then why did we just record that now? - and even more annoying, "It doesn't have to sound THAT good, it's just a demo." So? It should still sound as good as it can, and believe me, it doesn't. Any advice from you guys on how to calm him down a bit about the whole process?

2. FenderP

FenderP

May 7, 2005
    Well, what's the purpose of the demo? To get gigs? If it is, then if he b!tches and gets impatient and it comes out crappy, he may not care now, but when you aren't getting gigs for one reason or another that may be related to your demo, he better start taking some responsibility. Some demos do not need to be perfect, but they can't be crappy and sloppy.

If you're recording just to get an idea of what you guys sound like in a mix where you can critique yourselves, it's a different story. Quality may not be paramount.

Recording can be a pain if you really don't like to do a lot of hurry up and wait. There's a reason that sometimes 3 minutes of music can take hours to record.

3. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I'm a bit similar to your drummer. I'm not THAT interested in sound quality and stuff, as long it's reasonably good. Endless tweaking drives me nuts if I have to wait during it. Damn, they made great-sounding records in the 50's already. The sound quality isn't really that important...

What's more important is to play tastefully and tightly so it sounds professional. Rule #1: **** in, **** out. Mixing is easy when all tracks (there should be enough of them, too many is better than too few) are recorded. Everybody don't have to be present during the mixing process, if they don't necessarily want to be.

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Me too. "If the post (production) is long, the track was wrong".

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Calm him down a bit? Try convince him to grow up - a lot... :rollno:

Your drummer is behaving like a child and an amateur. Recording is an inherently time-consuming, detail-oriented process. There are things you can do to make it more efficient, but only to a degree.

If he hates recording as much as you've indicated - and he still insists upon behaving like a spoiled child - maybe he should rethink his choice to be a musician. And maybe you should even rethink your relationship with him.

It's not your responsibility to "calm him down", or to do anything else to him or for him. It's his responsibility to conduct himself like an adult - and a professional... :rollno:

MM

6. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I know several bands that have recorded whole albums in a couple of days in a Jazz club I'm active in. It's not necessarily a long process. It's about being well-prepared (i.e .knowing the songs and having the arrangements ready), having the right good-quality equipment and knowing how to use it. If you're unsure, hire a professional recording engineer. If I was in your situation, that's what I'd do. If he gets frustrated on you like your drummer, maybe it's you who should look yourself in the mirror....

7. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Drum Machine? :)

Later
    Rob

8. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    You or he should drop from the band. If one of those don't happen, you're liable to lose a friendship. Don't feel badly about it, either.