1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Drummer Sprains Ankle Playing Volleyball..News at 11

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Kronos, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    RANT!

My drummer went to the emergency room tonight, with a bad ankle sprain.

We have a show in a week. Looks like that's not going to happen. This show was going to be a show where we get a lot of exposure. But, because he HAD to play volleyball (which I warned him could cause problems), he sprains his ankle and is unable to play.

It's bad enough that he isn't practicing at home, which is causing his footwork to suffer as it is, but not playing on the foot for a few weeks is going to be even worse.

I'm terribly frustrated at this point. I know it's something out of my control now, but I try my damnedest to make sure my hands are in good playing shape, stretched, warmed, and worked, and I try not to do anything that could harm my playing ability. Hell, it's bad enough I work with my hands, but it's my job, and I make my living off of it. When I get home, I don't do handstands or tumble around on my hands. I don't punch things. I don't box. I don't do anything that can put my hands into major danger. Ughh!! I know you all probably think I"m being unreasonable, but I warned him about this...I had a feeling it was going to happen. No, I'm not psychic. I'm just frustrated.

I've also thought about getting an interim drummer, but the problem with that is that whoever would play for us wouldn't be able to learn our material in one week.

I'm really upset. I don't know what else to say. Thanks for listening.

2. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    i'd think his foot would heal by then...drummers are unrealiable anyway!!

3. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Ankle injuries in volleyball are rarely the fault of the person who suffers them. It's usually the fault of either a teammate landing underneath them or someone on the other team coming under the net. I know of what I speak, I coached and played at 10 straight US National Championships and am an avid player. Hell, I just won another local league Championship last night. lol...

More power to your drummer for adding more spice to his life by being an active person involving himself in other activities. It may suck in the short term for you guys, but he'll be fine before too long. There's more to life than just playing music. ;)

Like was said before, if the gigs that important, just get a hired gun. I know more good drummers than I do anything else around here. There's more drummers than guitarists around here!

Best of luck!

4. JazzBassMayn

JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    I don't think he should be restricted from playing any sports. He shouldn't be punished for being in a band by not being allowed to do the other things that he wants. Accidents happen.

5. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I know...I was just upset at the moment. I've had time to settle down and I realize that I was a bit irrational with my statements.

As far as a hired gun goes, the next show we have lined up, we were basically doing it just for the publicity. I doubt we'd get a drummer to do it pro bono, not to mention the fact that it took us a while to find our drummer. There's not that many starving drummers in our neck of the woods. They're a commodity.

6. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    The hell? This is completely OT, but...there's no freakin drummers around here. If we had one (we don't cause we can't find any), and he was put out of comission for a while, we'd be screwed.

Sorry. Carry on.

7. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I can see why you'd be a little pissed, but its volley ball you can't expect him to live in a bubble when he's not with the band.

the not practicing thing sucks tho. I'd look for a new dummer cause of that.

8. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA

I know...I tend to become quite overprotective of my bandmates.

As far as the not practicing goes, it's only been recently that his footwork is suffering, so we're nudging him gently. My guitarist and I have been discussing options of how to get him to improve. We all believe it's because his girl moved in with him, so he spends time with her (which is perfectly fine). I know her, she's a good girl. She'd understand if he took an hour every day to practice. So, it's not her fault. So, if the gentle nudging doesn't work, we'll have to talk to him more seriously about it. He's a good guy, and he writes good parts, but he's got to want to improve.

He also personally knows Randy from Lamb of God. I think that's a huge asset.

9. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    i would say don't worry about it, the drummer of def leppard only has one arm. can't be worse than that:meh:

10. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    My bandmates used to get on me for playing basketball on the day of gigs. One out of every 10-20 games would result in a jammed finger or something. But it's part of the game, and I always figured out some way to play with hand injuries. But I was far from playing at my best. But, hey I like to shoot hoops.

Get a fill in and pay what him/her you need to in order to get this gig done, if it means that much to the band. The guy learned a lesson. Next time don't jinx him with stuff like that ;)

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    They shoot horses, don't they?

Seriously, you do need to keep your drummer in a bubble. Provide a little oxygen (but not too much...you wouldn't want him getting any ideas), and some sustanance. Again, don't overdo it on that...just enough to keep him alive, although you could give him some extra vitamins and minerals on the day of the gig before you let him out.

If the band refuses to keep him in a bubble, you'll have to resign yourselves to the fact that accidents can, and do, happen...and usually right before a gig (wasn't there another thread on this?).

While it sucks now, it will be something to laugh about in the future..."Hey, remember when...?"

12. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    My band the Inactivists were supposed to try out a new drummer last night. The guy emailed us yesterday afternoon, however, stating that he had gone to a Colorado Avalanche hockey game and twisted his ankle on the stairs. Obviously, he had to cancel for the night. Kit drummers are virtually useless without their ankles...

Matt

13. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hmm...I just had an idea...I wonder if our producer could get us a CD from our EP with just the drum tracks? Maybe we could blast that through a PA and play that way?

14. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    You can do that, but you'd want to put a short click track before each drum track so you can at least count it out, instead of trying to match the "drummers" tempo a few beats into the song.

15. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Exactly...I was just wondering how it would appear? I'll definitely discuss it with the band this weekend.

16. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    well i'm not going to lie it'd look kinda lame. You'd have to tell the crowd he hurt himself, I doubt they'd throw bottles at you aor anything but i know if I walked into a bar and they were playing with a drum machine I'd think it was pretty lame if i didn't know what was going on.

17. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yeah, that's what I thought. I dunno. It's an idea.

18. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    if you explained it though and cracked some good jokes you could really pull it off tho.

Talk to the drum macanine like its a person. Say it picks up more chicks than the rest of the band. that would probably go over pretty well with my band I dunno how well it'd go over at a metal show though.

19. I guess I'm the wrong one to ask. I fractured my funk thumb rollerblading. Got a flourescent yellow lightweight fiberglass cast for the weight savings (sweat resistance) and to complement my racing uniform, raced an inline marathon in Duluth with the cast, and a few weeks later when I was down to a splint did an 87 mile road race (with a 37mph downhill section) with the splint and an extra large rollerblading wrist guard duct taped over the splint. You know, for safety's sake.

Randy

20. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    wow...that's determination...

But, seeing as the ankle of a drummer has to be in motion to play the bass drum, putting a bandaid on him won't do any good (much to my chagrin!) ;)

I was all for just giving him a shot of cortizone before playing..