1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Drummer traded his kit on the day of the audition!!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Eyeshot_Bassist, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Eyeshot_Bassist

Eyeshot_Bassist

Jun 20, 2008
    My band was supposed to be auditioning a new drummer last night. We had set everything up about a week in advance, sent him a cd of the songs we wanted him to learn and even called him the day before.
    So the next day rolls around and we are waiting for him to show up. Our guitar player gave him a call and he said somthing about calling us back in a minute. Another hour goes by and we still havent heard from him. We call him one more time, only to learn that he just literally traded his drumset a minute ago for a motorcycle.
    Why anyone would do that when they know they had an audition that day is beyond me. He said that when his income tax return comes in he is buying a new kit, and said that he would hit us up. I told him to not even bother:scowl:

2. Tony-bobs

Tony-bobs

Aug 19, 2008
    Spearfish, SD
    yet for some reason we need them...its like God's cruel way to balance out how great it is to be a musician, you have to deal with drummers...

3. EviscerateNick

EviscerateNick

May 9, 2007
    BAY AREA
    Endorsing Artist: THC GOLD
    sounds like a drummer to me.

4. Unbelieveable. Nervey too.

Not related to a band experience, but me and a buddy of mine were renting a house out last summer and when one of our friends that was renting with us had to get a place to pay for his mother, we had to find someone to replace him ASAP. Our prayers were answered when a personal trainer from my gym saidd he would move in.

Would you believe he waited until 3 hours after he was supposed to move in to let us know he wasnt going to commit??

My friend and I later moved back home:spit:

5. Wolf

Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Israel
    What a prick!!! Then again - it's probably better you found out the guy is an ass before you put him in your band...

6. Well, we all know, drummers really are the primadonna's of the music scene....

7. Yeah good point. Better you find out now that hes a prick than to be waiting for him at a big gig... while he's riding his motorcycle:rolleyes:

8. Toshiro

Toshiro

Jul 21, 2004
    Heh. Sounds like the drummer in one of my old bands. He was reliable as clockwork all fall and winter, but as soon as the weather turned nice, he flaked out. Turns out he likes to ride his bike during spring and summer instead of drumming.

9. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Wow. That's one of the best (worst) ones I've heard in awhile.

Hope you can find a great drummer with his head on straight. This loser clearly wasn't it.

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Haha - yeah, that's epic! At least you didn't have to feel him out for 3 months before you knew that he wasn't committed...

11. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

What sort of bike was it? If it was a Harley you could probably just let it idle on the stage and write all your songs around the 'potato, potato' rythmn

12. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Or you could play Hot For Teacher and Girls, Girls, Girls a hell of a lot! ;)

13. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Have him wear leather and learn a lot of old Judas Priest songs.

Or maybe, not.

14. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    that's hilarious. keeping in jest, so if that's the typical drummer what about bass players and guitarists? I'd guess guitarists are prima donnas and barbie guys or something like that? bass players are stoners? and drummers are tools? We all know stereotypes don't always apply, but there certainly are some for these 3... can anyone correct my stereotype categories?

15. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Well, thank God my drummer already owns his Harley! :p

16. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    The bassist is the band drunk and/or the fat guy. That's the one I've always heard, anyway.

FWIW I drink maybe 3 beers on a "big" night and weigh 175 at 5'11.

17. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yup sounds like a drummer all right. :meh:

And it's one of the reasons we bought our own DW drum kit.

18. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    hey, I'm offended by that:p

everyone knows guitarists and singers are the primadonnas

and besides, you should be best friends with your drummer, he's the other half of the rythm section.

19. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    +1. I get to play pretty regularly with three very good drummers, all of whom I also consider to be good friends. When I'm playing with any of them we're both up there just smiling and laughing and joking back and forth cuz it's so tight. The other people in the bands pick up on it and so do the people in the house. One of the guys guest drummed with my church praise band recently and this guy from the congregation comes up afterwards and says, "that sure was some s**t-eating grin you had going on up there" and I just had to say, yes, yes it was.

20. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    ^ das what I'm talkn' bout

Like this " :D "