Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drummer trying to be the band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    When we formed... we all had our jobs... i sang and played bass...a guy named jon played guitar...and a guy named jeremy played drums...but over the past few months...it seems like jeremy is trying to make it "his" band...it's our band....not one person...here's what i mean....he doesn't like the songs i write so he writes his own...and insists that he must write the bass line and guitar chords...sing it...and play drums...now that got me pissed...but what really got me pissed is that he is writing music in the style of Dave Matthews Band and Dashboard Confessional....which is FAR from what we intended to be...now the last pracitce we had....he insisted on playing an acoustic song by himself i almost snapped there....i left the room and said i needed a glass of water....but i was sooo pissed...here;s the worst part....he's really not good on guitar...thats why he plays drums...and whenever he plays my bass or jon's guitar...he always detunes it...i've about had it with him....and so has jon....but we have all been friends for years and me and jon don't kno what to do...

any advice

bp13

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Man, it must be bad drummer month here at TalkBass, eh?

;) ;)

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Dont tell us, tell him how you feel.

Ok, you can tell us too, but he's the one who really needs to read this post.

Peace
    Nick

4. He's probably one of those people who think's his on view/opinion is the only right one, get someone outside of the band to tell him that you should sing and he shouldn't write your bassline's as he's not the bass player, sound's stupid but he's obviously a bit stupid.

5. Mail him that post you made. Maybe change some of the pronouns. Print it out and mail it to him. Better yet, have Jon and you sign it and send it. Also, just tell him that you still want to be friends no matter what. If he can sing well, give him a mic! Try and mix all your lyrics together, too. Good luck!

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my advice...

you're not old enough to be that good a friend with him. get a new band, and tell him to grow up.

7. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    im assuming that you think im 13 judging my the 13 at the end of my name....im almost 16...and i've known jeremy since i was about 8...and jon since i was about 11...

BTW...13 is my lucky # that's why its..

bp13

8. Get a new drummer anyway. It's always nice to have a spare just in case your full time one breaks down.

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i wasn't basing it on that at all. your age is in your profile. life's too short to waste any time on slackers or doofi with bad attitudes.

10. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ

o....n/m then....im talking to the guitarist right now to see what he wants to do

bp13

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    good plan. good luck with it.

12. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    ok, here's what me n jon decided....we are gonna have the next practice thursday...we are gonna see how he acts, if he is the same way....we are gonna talk to him about it...let it sink in until practice on friday...then if he still acts the same way....me n jon start making flyers for "drummer needed"

bp13