1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Drummer wants scratch track to program drums to...???

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by father of fires, Mar 25, 2013.

1. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Howdy,

I need some preproduction tips.

I need tempo map for my drummer to program some drums to (he does it for his other bands so we're gonna give it a shot). My plan is to record a scratch drum and guitar track live with my mini digital 4 track. Then record a separate guitar track using the guitar/drum track as a guide using the same recorder. Upload these tracks to Reaper and then make a tempo map off of the single guitar track. Then do one of these:

1. Once I have a tempo map I can stretch or shrink measures so all sections are the same.

Or...

2. I can see the average tempo of each section and build a fancy click track to record 1 more guitar track too and use that as the scratch track for drum programming.

Thoughts?

Ideas?

2. miiitch

miiitch

Nov 27, 2011
    Germany
    do you have that many tempo changes in your songs?

what we did was create a click track (mixed with scratch tracks, so i knew where i was), with 4 measures in front if I started first, and cut to fit the song structure.

3. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Amateur. Take my advice for its resale value.
    I feel like I'm missing something...but why wont a single scratch track work?

On my productions, I have the best rhythm guitar player (or bassist) record a simple track, with a click track, to lay out the song structure. No fills, no leads, just a map of the song.

Why won't something like that work?

4. father of fires

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    It would but I'm trying to take our songs that have multiple tempos and time signatures and add a click to a recorded track. I have tried to build songs before by picking the best tempo for each section and it always sounds choppy.

I researched tempo mapping with Reaper and I think I know how I'm going to do it.

If the song sounds choppy after I fix all of the timing issues (speed ups and slow downs, etc.) I'm going to pick an average speed for each section and just build the tempo map off of that and rerecord the rhythm guitar track.

5. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Amateur. Take my advice for its resale value.
    I'd love to hear what you are trying to record as I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the issue.

Do you have any rough demos?

6. father of fires

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Maybe I'm not explaining it well. We have rough demos but the drummer wants simple rhythm guitar track that is in time that he can program drums to so he can write drum parts when he's away from his kit.

I do not know the tempo for each section. I'm going to use the rhythm track I recorded last night and use the recording software to find the tempo. Then I'm going to either edit each measure to make sure the tempo is consistent for each section or rerecord it with a tempo map I create after studying the tempos in the recorded rhythm guitar track.

7. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    Jumping tempos does sound choppy if all you have is the click, however that's exactly what you're doing. Jumping from timing to timing.

The thing that smooths that shift out is the transitional bits you write into the song interms of the phrasing and such. There are times when a band can shift tempos and time signatures and you wont even notice it unless you're really paying attention. Now on the other hand, bands like Dream Theater do time/meter shifts all of the time, and sometimes they are quite blunt about it, but its on purpose.

8. father of fires

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Yeah...we're definitely not a prog band. You can here our old EP at the link in my sig. Our new songs are along these lines but there are noticeable tempo change between some sections. Some transitions will be hard to put a tempo to so I may leave some sections without a click but I'm going to try and do my best.