1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Drummer who needs advice on this Ebay auction

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gapurvis, Aug 19, 2007.

1. gapurvis

gapurvis

Jun 9, 2007
  2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    $2500 for a '76? A bit steep. It looked clean at first but the detail pics show that it's not that clean, it just looks like it was polished well. I like it, but think the 1200-1500 would be more in line with a good price if you can score it. Mind you I'm not an expert on this! At least it appears to be all stock, but at 2500 I wouldn't touch it myself.

3. If I was gonna spend that much I'd buy a new american reissue for less

4. BetterBottomEnd

BetterBottomEnd <- Not me I just like looking at her

Jan 9, 2007
    Cable Wi
    Brian from The Low End is a stand up guy and I believe posts around here so you can be confident that it is as advertised. It looks in beautiful shape and the few little flaws are clearly documented. It is what he says it is if thats what you want then hit that.

5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Because for a late 70's, kinda it's too much. You shop around and can find them for 500-700 cheaper.

The thing that scares me about that bass is the way all the strings are off-center toward the treble-side of the neck. They shouldn't be this way, they should be pretty evenly centered. This tells me either the neck isn't true to the body alignment, maybe possibly the bridge wasn't centered correctly when mounted at the factory. Things like this is why it is known that the late 70's is a dark era for Fender, and you need to shop wisely.
    You can still find early 70's basses that had better quality control for the same price.

6. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I've never seen a serial number like that, with the first two numbers in bold. But that doesn't mean it can't be legit. I have not seen every serial number from every year Fender, so it's possible they were done this way in '76 and other years.

I also think the price is a bit high for that bass. But it sure is a nice looking one. I'd be willing to go to $1,800 for it, but not much higher.

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

I just bought a 1974 P for under $1900 and that was a bit more than I should have paid.

The '76 Jazz is nice, but not $2500 nice. I would think it would go for $1500-1800.