Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drummers: any idea what these are worth?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Taylor Livingston, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    A while ago, I was given some old drums that a friend of the family found under a house. They are yellow Pearl drums, "Pearl World Series" rock/standard sizes (I think). 12"+13" rack toms, 16" floor tom, 22" bass. The rack toms have both heads and rings, the floor only has the top head and ring (correct word?), and the kick has only the beater ring, and no heads. There is no snare.

The floor tom has legs but no bottom ring, the rack toms don't have mounting arms, and the kick doesn't have the back side ring or tension lugs or claws, etc (it has all the hardware for the beater side, though). There are no stands. I have no idea what these are worth. I went to guitar center because my friend has a discount there, and found out that it would cost about $300 to get everything I would need to have a functional set, and I don't have that much right now. I'm having a bass built, and I really need the money for that, even though I really would like a drumkit of my own.

Any idea what these are worth? They are in under-a-house condition, but I have the time to polish them up and do what I can to make them nice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Are the shells wood or fiberglass? I seem to remember Pearl having some fiberglass shells in the 70's.

3. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
  4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Post a good pic(s) and we may be able to venture a guess.

5. Drummers; any idea what these are worth?

Hmmm...I guess Dennis Chambers is worth his weight in gold. Chester Thompson, El Negro, Jonathan Moffat, Steve Gadd, Steve Ferrone are not far behind. A drummer I'm currently working with is worth about $2.50 on a good day, $1.50 if he's had a few beers.....

6. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hahah! :D

You said that you knew the model type/drum name, so why not serach around on second hand sites like Ebay and find out what they go for second hand then use this as a rough guidline. Also, have you tried E-mailing Pearl themseleves?

7. I would put Steve Gadd at the head of the class myself.

I suspect that the partial kit that you have is not worth a whole lot for any type of collector value. If I remember correctly, and that is always a stretch concerning the 70's, the Pearl Worlds Series drums were an entry level kit. The fact that there are a lot of parts missing to make it playable, means that whoever has it is going to have to come up with some dollars to make it playable.

By the way, the $300 estimate wouldn't include other things that you will need such as a high hat stand, high hats, a ride cymbal, and at least a couple of crash cymbals (and stands), and a bass drum pedal. If you want to get it all ready to go, I would suggest checking out a used instrument dealer such as Music-go-Round for that stuff.

8. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    You don't really need a couple of crash cymbals, just one would qualify as "functional".

9. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have, actually had, a Pearl World Series. They're decent, not top of the line or anything, but certainly not the worst. They're somewhere in the middle. I would say hang on to them and get the missing pieces when you have the money. Otherwise, you're looking at only $150-250 at very best for the whole thing, I would say.

10. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    I didn't expect them to have any value to a collector. I know they aren't high-end drums. I just wanted to know if they were worth anything. The $300 estimate did include a cymbal prepack, and stands minus maybe the hi-hat stand. All the drums need to be functional are tuning rings for the bass and floor tom, bass drum pedal, bass drum spurs, and the mounting arms for the rack toms. My friend has a nearly half-off discount at GC, so, when he got the estimate, it was about $300. Since there are full kits of around the same quality available at GC for $300, it seemed kind of silly.

Seeing as how these were free, $150-$250 is fine by me. I'll try to put up some pictures, if that'll help. If $150-$250 is agreed upon, I guess I have my answer.

11. Josh is right on the mark. Why not just keep it and get the stuff you need to make it functional over time. Then you will have a kit that you can use.

12. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    worth 2 cents? Come off it, guys. you're trying to bamboozle me! :)

I could fix them up - polish the rust off and so forth - if it would be worth it. It'll be a very long time before I have money to spend on something other than my bass, but I suppose they're worth more to me than they are to anyone else. Thanks for the help, folks.