Drummers of Talkbass, whats your kit setup?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Hi. just wondering what some of the Tb'ers who play drums have. And what types of music do you play?

Right now Im playing a Yamaha Dtxpress kit, Pearl Powershifter Bass Pedal, Pretty stick really.
    Trueline Danny Carey Drumsticks..(the most confertable sticks ive ever picked up). I mostly play funk/rock type stuff. Really any drummer who can groove..Lately ive been playing alot of Chilli Peppers, Jamiriqua, 311, Newer Unwritten law(Wade.. can hold a groove!), Primus and the Police.
    Im a very simple man, i need 2 rack toms and a floor tom, a crash, a ride.. a nice defined highhat, a nice funky poppy snair drum and a groove. =D
  2. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I have a mapex pro m manhatten kit.. with a DW piccolo snare. Cymbals a Sabian hi-hat (13").. not sure which model. I have a Zildjian mega bell ride(21" or 22"), a 6" zil-bell and a Zildjian crash-ride (18") and a 16" Sabian crash... Hardware is all Mapex, except for the pedal and throne.. which are DW and pork pie respectively.

I like smaller drums... the sticks I normally use they don't make anymore.. Vic Firth Thunder Rock.. they are like tree branches.. I love them. But I occasionally use some Vater sticks.. don't remember the model (I think they say Vinnie something on them)

Style... umm not sure... Jazz/Rock/Experimental I guess you'd call it. I'm not the greatest drummer in the world... actually I probably am horrible.. but it's fun.

I play in a band that has a trumpet, one distorted guitar, one acoustic guitar, bass and keyboards. Largely instrumental...

It's pretty fun... except I get in fights with the bass player over what he plays... I'm better than him.. haha :) (I wish I could play both at the same time)
    :spit: :spit:
  3. Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    A Slingerland 4 piece with Zildjian/sabian cymbals. I use a bass snare, the right tom in the left tom position and a floor tom. I have zildjian scimitar hi hats, an 18 inch zildjian medium thin crash for a ride, a 16 inch zidjian thin crash and a 16 inch Sabian AA crash for a second crash. An Iron Cobra bass drum pedal (gotta have it) and whatever sticks I find.
  4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Ive got an 8 piece double kick Pearl set that Ive owned for 20+ years. Theres two 14" X 22" kick drums, a 14" snare, two 12" and one 13" rack toms, two 16" floor toms. Zildjian's I use are: 14" 'hats, a 16" med thin crash, 17" thin crash, 17" paper thin crash, 18" rock crash. Paiste's are 20" ride and a 20" color sound China, and I also have a 12" Sabian splash. Hardware ranges from Yamaha, Ludwig, and CB700 stands to el cheapo Maxwin pedals. Sticks are Pro-Mark 5B's, and heads are Remo Pin Stripe on everything but the snare, which is a Remo Black Dot.
  5. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Very cool dude ;)
    Ive been looking at those drums(Mpros) lately.
    That Coral Fade finish is very very cool looking!
  6. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I'm no drummer by all means but I like to sit behined the kit every now & then.
    My bands rehearse at my house so I bought a house kit.
    5 Piece Pearl Export with Picalo snare and Paiste cymbals,
  7. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I have a kit to record although I'm not a drummer.

I was given a Premier Olympic kit that is nearly as old as I am. I need to sort the cymbals out as I'm using 16 in hi hats a 10 in splash and an iffy ride.

I use my sons sticks one prefer 7a's and the other 5a's, what's lying on the snare...
  8. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
  9. I'm not much of a drummer, but I love gear! Here's my rig:
    It's a Starclassic Birch 16x22, 10x10, 13x14, with a Tama Stewart Copeland 5x14 (there's a Pearl snare in the pic). Zildjian K Custom Dark 14" Hats, A Custom 16" Crash, A Custom 10" Splash, K Custom 20" Medium Ride, 16" Medium Crash, A 6" Splash, LP Jam Block, DW 5000ADII bass drum pedal, Axis Hi Hat. Yep. I like gear.
  10. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Oo...buddy...... .....friend... pall..... buddy.. =D

I want those drums......!!!

I was looking at a used kit of Yamaha Stage Customs with Pork Pie Throne and 2 Zildjian A Custom Crashes.. one regular and a projection and then a A custom Ride and DynoBeat Hi Hats..
  11. A Custom cymbals sound great--they're my favourite all-around noisemakers. I got my K Custom hats and ride for cheap--otherwise I woulda bought the A Custom equivalents.
  12. I use a 6-piece Tama Rockstar Kit 10 and 12 inch rack toms on the bass drum, 16-inch floor tom to the right, 13-inch rack tom mounted at floor tom height to the left of the snare drum (14x5.5 Pearl Masters Series). Also mounted to the left are bongos and djembe and a table with an udu drum and various shakers. A Tambourine is mounted between the hats and the 10-inch tom. Bass drum is 16x22 with very minimal muffling. I tune the toms wide-open at the most resonant pitch possible.

Cymbals are a 20 inch Zildjian A Custom ride, an 18 inch Zildjian A medium crash, an 18 inch Paiste 2002 crash (from 1975), a 15 inch Zildjian paper thin crash, a 14 inch Meinel crash (60's vintage) a 10 inch Zildjian A splash and 14 inch Zildjian New Beat hats (1975).

I use a DW single bass drum pedal or a Tama Iron Cobra double pedal.

I use Zildjian 5b sticks along with various types of mallets.

I've played many musical styles over the years and consider myself to be fairly competent in most styles. I am not very good at most metal or speed metal styles.

My biggest influences are John Bonham, Ringo Starr, Steve Gadd, Jeff Porcaro, Jim Keltner, Billy Ward, Jimmy Cobb and Joe Morello
  13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I played drums for years before switching to Bass and guitar.

I've still got the Tama BD and rack tom. Ludwig floor tom. Zildjian cymbals, maybe one Paiste. 14" Ludwig snare, Tama BD pedal, a beautiful DW Hi-Hat stand. Cases, and tons of sticks in a Cool custom leather stick bag a friend of mine made for me.

Our drummer speeds up and slows down. It Drives Me Nuts!