Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

drummers

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by sunburst62, Oct 30, 2003.

1. sunburst62

sunburst62

Oct 30, 2003
    cambs england
    absolutely true story, fellow rumblers,

my current band had rehearsed about twenty times, and it was obvious that the drummer was well short of the standard.

At one rehearsal he brought along a pro muso pal to help us on any way that he could, and, later, this story found its way back to me.

The pro said

' you've got a good bass player there'.

and our drummer replied to him

'is he? i didn't know, i havn't listened to him'

the drummer has been replaced.

2. HAHA

I feel sorry for him...well,I am not entering a band until I feel as if I am ready.

Good luck with the new drummer!

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

Screw that John... your never gonna be ready for a real band until you go and play with a couple crap bands... I know that you have the skills to be in a band, so get off your ass.

:D

4. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss

The wisdom is in knowing the difference.

Mike

5. We just replaced our drummer...he asked us to write his parts for him:rolleyes:

But our new one kicks such major ass :D

6. you're so sweet *hug* :)

7. [​IMG]
    Treena

8. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss

I dont get that one.

Mike

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Our drummer fell apart during our holoween show. It was our first show so I can be somewhat patient. He is taking lesson but has 6 months to get his act together, huge case of stagefrieght and he just forgot his parts and his tempo was all over the place. It kills me because I am a drummer too and I have not played any of our songs on drums but could have winged a much, much better performance. He's a good friend so I need to give him a chance, but it's not fair to the rest of the guys to go on stage and sound like crap. Drummers, if they could just relax they would be fine.

10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    About the band thing, one excellent device I've used when I'm getting up to speed, is to go to a lot of "jam nights". They're basically pickup gigs, people will call tunes that you may or may not know, and you just have to do the best you can with them. This is excellent practice for when you do decide to join (or form) a band, 'cause that's a lot of what it's about, being responsive to what other people are doing, and being able to improvise as needed. Sometimes, it can be downright embarrassing if you have to play a song you don't know, but that's okay, that's how you get good. I remember the first time someone called "Cold Shot" at a jam night I went to some ten or fifteen years ago. I must have heard that song ten or fifteen thousand times on the radio, but that's different from knowing how to play it. I completely spaced the changes and started doing a 1-4-5. Luckily I had a buddy in the audience that started flashing hand signals at me. I got through it, but it was rough. That was one of the most emabrrassing performances I've ever had to suffer through. But you know what? Now I know the tune. I'll never forget that song as long as I live.

11. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    >I dont get that one.

The one smiley is poking the other smiley with a stick - possibly to see if it's dead.