Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by fenderbassabuse, Jul 22, 2004.

1. My drummer has decided he can't be bothered to come to practice any more. Whenever we get a practice time sorted out we ask him if he can make it, he says yes. Then as we're all set up, we get a message saying sorry guys, I can't make it.

Also, as we have secured our 4th singer, we can finally get on and write some good s**t and record it, gig, and most importantly, play.

Does anyone else have a similar problem? How can I persuade him to come to practices or do I need to give him the boot?
  2. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    There is an obvious lack of commitment from your drummer. Ususally there isn't any way around booting him and getting a drummer who is commited to making the band work.
  3. Damn. he's the only good drummer around. all the others blow. seing as the guiterist is 15, like me and the singer is 18, we can't find anyone in the local area of that age group. Looks like we'll have to audition some people then...
  4. Isamu

Aug 5, 2003
    Our drummer doesn't even call to say he can't make it, so we just wait around until we figure he probably isn't coming.. GRR
  5. Been there. Done that. He's obviously turning you down at the last second for a booty call. :D Either that or he doesn't have the guts to say that he's not really interested in playing with you. This is what happened with my first drummer. He would always make excuses. One time he told me he got into a car accident. Yeah, right. For chirst sakes, just say your not interested instead of giving me the run-around.

Drop him and get a drum machine. When it comes time for a gig, find a fill in, rehearse, then play. I have not found a committed drummer yet. And all the drummers in the area are either already in bands or too busy to play. Some lost interest because they see that I'm not into improv jamming, and one just stopped playing drums all together once he got a girlfriend... Go figure. The lastest one kicked me out of the band (unofficially) without telling me, when I'm the one who started the band in the first place! But I won't even get into that :meh:

Obviously, the last option is to simply get another drummer. And if you're desperate, take what you can get, but get one that's played for at least more than a year ( Trust me on that ;) :p ).

For the record, "I'm NOT crazy, it just sounds good." Thank you and good night. And happy B-day to me. Happy freakin' B-day. Oh well, time to go back to the insane asylum; they let me out for the day. :D
  6. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Be patient. A good drummer will come along. Just keep auditioning new ones. You have to make sure the his/her style fits the band as well.

The drum machine idea is a good one for practice.

I am a drummer so I'm not a fan of drum machines but if thats all you can get for now go for it.
  7. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    I'd come and help you out dude, but I live next to Brum. Bit of a journey lol.

good luck.

8. cschenk78

Mar 12, 2000
    Watertown, NY
    You don't need the best drummer in town, just one whole got a fire under his a$$ and wants to play...once they commit to playing with good musicians, they will have no choice but to become a good drummer.

Attitude to skill is 90/10...
  9. Absolutely! You shouldn't be looking for the best drummer. You should be looking for the best drummer for the band. In my opinion, a drummer who doesn't go to practice is not the best drummer for your band, no matter how good his skills are.
  10. discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    boot to the arse!
    you are only as strong as your weakest link.