Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

drummers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Oct 13, 2004.

1. welllllll...all i gots ta say, is that from my exploration on here there seems to be a fair bit of whinging about guitarists and drummers...so i gotta say, if it werent for those two we'd be pretty much screwed.....

2. Just because the mere mention of drummers came up... Over the weekend I saw the footage of the Who playing A Quick One While He's Away. Keith Moon was amazing. His over the top showmanship really was something to behold. Wow.

3. What's even funner is playing "A Quick One" along with a drummer that is essentially the second coming of Keith Moon, my friend Ed Barnett.

I have nothing but respect for good drummers.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, I've played in many combinations of instruments in groups and I must say that I much preferred bands without guitarists - say sax/flute/trumpet, piano, bass and drums, for example.

I've also played many times without a drummer and it does have its advantages - as in, you can hear everything else very clearly - especially quieter instruments like flute - and it is really good practice for your sense of time as a bass player! :)

5. its good when they use electronic kits :D ..like mine...has a a bloody top of the line roland V-drums with friggin extra toms and cymbols :meh:

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Sounds horrible to me - less is more!! ;)

7. he has the equivalent of the guy from rush....just not the rotating platform, midi triggers and acoustic kit
    [​IMG]

8. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    CymbAls!

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Electric kits are a ton of fun, but I like the high quality, small kits (snare, hihat, rack tom, floor tom, bass, crash, and ride)

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    like i said in a similar thread started by tplyons, i would gladly lick a good drummers boots, well, almost. I've been lucky enough to play with three phenomenal drummers and they taught me more about time and groove than anything else. The problem is that I've become a tad spoiled. I hate auditioning for drummers because i tend to have very high standards for them. I want them to be better musicians than me, or at least no worse! I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than play with a poor drummer.

11. ouch...im glad to be with the people im playing with now..our drummer is one of those people who's ultra talented at any instrument..as has his own recording studio :D and one of our guitarists has played with pat metheny and a whole lotta other people in NY over the last 10 years, and he doesnt play with a pick either..all hands

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    All the drummer's I've played with personally have been pretty good, at the very least. Thankfully. There is nothing more irritating to me than playing with someone who can't keep a beat -- including a guitarist. I too have become spoiled...the drummer in the band I'm in right now, Stalin and the Rainbows, is pretty dang good and can (and does) rip up some Tim Alexander and Brain stuff on occasion. I'm hopefully going to be doing some blues gigs soon with a guy from the program I'm in, who's just an incredible drummer all around, and I'm in the jazz/concert band with yet another guy, who's easily the best drummer I've ever played with (with the exception of Greg Runions, but he's teaching this guy). Absolutely amazing. That said, I have nothing but respect for a good drummer (caveat: with a good attitude) and I'm actually jonesing to get a kit myself -- my guitar teacher can also play drums pretty spankin' well, and is totally willing to teach 'em.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    A local metal guy has a that setup. It's amazing what he can do with it, and other guys can't do with a 12 piece kit that entails about 8 cymbals.

14. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX

Yup. My feelings exactly. I'm on the other side though. Meaning, that I've gotten to play exactly ONE SONG with a good drummer (and it was Mustang Sally at that). But, it ruined me for average and below drummers. It doesn't help me much in this area that I used to play drums and was getting pretty good at it when I switched to bass. I have this nagging thought in my head when a drummer is not grooving: "move over ****$$$ let me show you how to do it". It's just unhealthy!! :eek:

I'm still hunting for the right drummer. I will hit him over the head and chain him to a pipe in my crawlspace so he can't escape when I finally find him. :p

15. im actually very honoured to be playing with the people im playing with, they've all be playing for 20+ years and they're like blown away with me.....i have no idea why.....but my improv skills have improved so much since playing with them

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, you don't have much of a choice, now do you?

17. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ahhhhhhhhhh....................
    so that's how you get away with buying new basses eh josh? Just buy a new cymbal with that and it's all good? Or maybe some new furniture?

As far as the drummer on a small kit goes, that's definitely the ticket. If they can do it on a 3 peice trap with 2 cymbals they are god. One night my drummer forgot his snare when coming to practice. And pulled it off! It was one of the most instructional nights for me as far as locking with the kick. I never realized how much i depended on the snare for my time and how much i unconsiously ignored the kick drum. And yes, we do keep him chained in the basement. And no, I'm not going to marry him. :p

18. Josh, your drummer rocks. And I ought to know.

That didn't come out quite right. But you know what I mean.

Er don't you?

19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Wife?

20. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Wow...that's really cool. I always knew the drum and bass relationship was important :D.