1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

drummers

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by vyse933, Apr 21, 2006.

1. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    i know very well that this thread should be in some other thread as a comment..but **** if i care, haha. everyone keeps talking about how annoying or w/e thier drummer is. i have to say, i LOVE my drummer in the band. amazing kid, jamming with him rocks, he's not annoying at all, very talented, helps carying stuff, awesome kid. he's my best friend in the band...and i have never once seen him outside of band practice.

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I hope you at least see him at gigs :eek:

3. SherpaKahn

SherpaKahn

Dec 1, 2005
    Bronx, NYC
    Ditto, man. I'm a senior in high school and my band's drummer is this little freshman kid I met whilst looking for a drummer, and aside from having a well-earned reputation as an amazing drummer, he's a really cool kid, fun to hang out with, wacky, and plays bass, too. They should make bumper stickers that read "I LOVE MY DRUMMER". I'd wear one. On...well, the seat of my pants, I guess. People might get the wrong message, but you get the idea. Here's to cool drummers!

4. Well i think its awesome u have a kool drummer. Im having a large amount of trouble finding a drummer, let alone one thats actually a decent bloke.

5. Kasper007

Kasper007

Feb 9, 2006
    Belgium
    Drummers rule! Our female drummer (Drumster?) makes me sound way better and funkier!

6. I have NEVER had a problem with a drummer. I've never played with one that had a huge ego. The drummers I've played with were usually the most dependable person in the band (besides me!). I tend to get along the best with drummers. I pay more attention to what the drummer's doing than the guitar player. I see my role as laying a foundation for the singer or guitar/keyboard/chainsaw player to go ape ****e over.

Finding a drummer has been hard on occasion, though.

All of my horror stories involve either the lead guitar player or the singer. You know, the people with huge egos.

7. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    haha, if only the band had a gig.

8. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    The drummer in my band is awesome too. He's very talented, nice guy and hilarious too. And we communicate really well.

All of my other drummers in the past though - too loud, too sloppy or too stoned.

9. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    ive always feel sorry for drummers when im talking with the guitarists about pickups, guitars, guitarists, bassists stuff like that the drummers always look left out and i end up feeling really guity

10. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    the drummmers i knw are all nice guys but they are rarely on time;)

11. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    My drummer is very cool and the founder of our band. It was his since he was in high school and we are in our 40's now. Very good drummer and cool dude...i like to tease him and read him drummer jokes i get off this site:p

12. I was so lucky to learn how to play bass in a band with a fantastic drummer. (We used to joke that his drumming was used to calibrate swiss watches :) ) This has teached me a better sense of timing.
    The drummer in my current band is also a great guy his timing is also good but it is a bit hidden in what he does. So, I have to be a little more attentive but I like what he does.
    So, also for me: thumbs up for the drummers. (We could make a T-shirt saying: "My best friend is a drummer" :) )

13. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Easy way to make a drummer screw up (only in practice, never onstage, obviously):

Play verse (straight 16ths, with the hi hat doing straight 16ths), and then, play chorus in straight 16ths too instead of going to the usual rhythm figure. Watch as drummer keeps playing hi hat in 16ths while a frowning, 'mmmm, was there a change here or not?!?!'.

Collapse laughing when guitar players turn to give drummer the evil eye and berate him for ****ing up the change.

14. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I think bass players and drummers should have the best relationship in the band. Then the bass player has to have a good relationship with the rhythm guitarist and tie it all together :smug:

Anyway, my band's drummer is amazing as well. Also, I've started playing drums at my church, and I definitely understand some of the "drummer mentality" now. It is kind of boring sometimes to sit behind the drums at practice. You just want to keep hitting things and make a lot of noise! It's weird. It's like the drums control you! :p

15. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I've played with a lot of drummers who are competent at basic timekeeping (although not all of 'em are) - but very few who play "out of the box", with any real sense of crispness, precision, flair and style.

As a bassist, there are all kinds of interesting parts I can hear in my mind's ear - i.e. "inversions" of the beat, various fills and uses of the high-hat - that the drummer never actually plays. If it's a cat I know pretty well and I play with him from time to time, I'll sometimes suggest some things he could try - and when he does, it usually works quite well in adding some color and spice to the music. But in my experience, very few of 'em ever seem to be creative enough to conceive of those things on their own.

The reason, I think, is because playing a rhythm instrument (like bass), it's very easy to coast along playing the minimal part and still be considered competent. So a lot of drummers never feel the need to really challenge themselves - unlike guitarists, keyboard players and horn players, for whom continuing to push the envelope is considered part of the "job description".

Just my thoughts...

MM

16. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Yeah I'm pretty good friends with my drummer, i've known him for years (before I played bass even) and I gotta say I probably get along better with him than anyone else....

Guitarist = Get's a little bitchy and possessive of "his" music
    Vocalist = Absolute Egomaniac (he is our ex as of about 3 hrs ago)
    Bassist = Useless as boobies on a bull.....

17. As far as I am concerned the drummer is the bass players best friend. In my experience, I have been fortunate enough to always have drummers who I can really connect with musically and personally. I will say that I have had a little more difficulty finding my connection with my current drummer, but it is coming and I have nothing bad to say about drummers (today).

And I miss my old drummer dearly. He is not dead - but I don't get to play with him any more. Well, once a year on Labor Day, but we used to play 3 times a week for over 10 years - he was the absolute be-all end-all in drummers. Skills out the wazoo - charisma - an all around great person and drummer... I miss playing with Mike more then you know.

--tz