Drumming & incorporating it into bass playing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Lovebown, Mar 10, 2001.

1. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    I sat down the other day and tried to figure out in my head without a drumkit, how to play drums.
    What I came up with was something quite nifty (I know some people already know this)...

In a 4/4 beat the drummer tends to play the kick drum on the 1st and 3rd beat in the bar.
    On the 2nd and 4th he tends to play the snare. Thus a very simple drum pattern would look like this:

1st beat: Bassdrum x2 (2x eightnote)
    2nd beat: Snare drum x1 (1x quarternote)
    3rd beat: Bassdrum x2 (2x eightnote)
    4th beat: Snare drum x2 (2x eightnote)

If you think of it this way, you can think of the bassdrum as your 'slap' and the snare as the 'pop'.
    Or simply the bassdrum as a lower note (like an open E) and the snare as a 5th (like a B).

Hope that made sense, please correct me if I'm wrong.

2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Well, that example of yours is the very basic, building ground for the 1&3/2&4 backbeat drumming that everyone plays at one time or another(Ringo made some cake playing that kinda drum beat on almost every Beatles' tune) ;)

...and it makes sense that the Thumb component = the kick & the [/i]Pop/slap[/i] component = the snare.
    It also makes sense, though, to consider some other possibilities. Suppose a drummer is "creative" enough to play in 1/2 time against "your straight time"; that means you'll be hearing a snare ONLY on YOUR beat 3.
    Or the drummer may play in double-time mode; or he may be playing in some sorta cross rhythm against "your straight time".
    I guess the point of all this blahblah is to not lock yourself into one train of thought.

Recently, I unearthed an old Dave Larue lesson(from BASS PLAYER mag)where he had a couple different thumb/slap/pop "patterns" laid out. In a couple of them, the popping is going on during the DOWNbeats.
    An example(2 bars in 1/8th notes)-

See in bar 1, a "P" occurs on Beat 3.
    In bar 2, a "P" occurs on Beat 1.
    Mix it up, experiment, be creative with it; endless possibilities...
  3. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Thanks for the input JimK,
    Anyway what I was trying to say here is that using the drumpattern mentality you can really come up with some really nasty slap / rhythm patterns on bass!

Yeah the possibilities are kinda endless ... work it out with a real drummer too and it can sound real awesome