Drum'n'Bass with real musicians?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    My drummer has a live cd recording of LTJ Bukem with intense, and it's all real musicians playing drum'n'bass/liquid funk kind of stuff, and it's great. But I can't find anything out about them, or about anything similar. Does anyone know of any groups that play that kind of music? I already know about squarepusher, what others are out there?
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Me'Shell NdegeOcello has a drum and bass cut on her new CD, Comfort Woman.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Doug Wimbish and the dude from Living Colour did a drum'n'bass thing called Headfake, the CD's supposed to be out this year (if it's not already out).
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've seen Roni Size and Reprazent play live - they even had live Double Bass!! :eek:
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Get Squarepusher's Hard Normal Daddy

It's like Weather Report on acid.
  6. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Cheers for the suggestions :D I've got hard normal daddy :) It's really good, but entirely wigout :D Will hopefully be seeing squarepusher live quite soon. Saw him at Reading Festival (he wasn't a happy bunny). I'm just looking for something a little less crazy. This stuff I heard by intense was really good though, like drum and bass, but funky as well, just drums, bass and guitar. Sounds really good, and there's a minute long slap solo in one of the tracks :D
  7. Check out stuff on the Good Looking and Looking Good record labels. That's LTJ Bukem's label. The "Journey Inwards" CD is very good. His stuff is generally more tuneful and jazz influenced than other drum and bass / jungle stuff.

Certain Goldie tracks were recorded using Mel Gaynor (Simple Minds) on drums. The Roni Size stuff is good but more up-tempo.
  8. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
  9. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Check out The New Deal -- they're on hiatus now, but they have two excellent studio albums and a bunch more live discs. http://thenewdeal.ca

Lake Trout does some live d'n'b too. Some Club D'Elf or Philadelphia Experiment tracks lean toward d'n'b.
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Corwin, he's talking drum n' bass as a genre, techno.

But hey, I can't blame ya, that's what I use to think it was too. Oi, genres, what a mess.
  11. Keep up dood, sheesh!! ;)
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Fast Reggae with drum machines playing "humanly impossible" fast drum fills!! ;)