Drums are too loud!!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by metallicarules, May 29, 2001.

1. Ok here is the thing, all I have and can afford right now is a little Peavey microbass amp and all our guitarist has is a tiny little 10 watt crate. While these are great for practicing and easy to carry around, when we play together we are almost completely drowned out by the drums. I've seen ads for mufflers on the internet which will quiet the drums a bit but I don't know if we will get the right volume with them, anyone else used these or come up with some other method to quiet the drums?
  2. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I have problems with a too-loud drummer, and I'm pushing over 600 watts! Anyway, one of my ideas is to get a really heavy-duty industrial canvas tarpaulin, soak it in water, and throw it on top of him and the trap set! :) I don't know if your drummer would go for that, though!
    - Mike
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    you could take the sticks away and give him string cheese.
  4. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    start cutting grass for lil old ladies and use that money for a bigger amp. ;)

sounds to me like loud drums isn't the problem, a quiet bass amp is.
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Aw, geez, Sean...let it go! ;)
    A good drummer AND musician is able to control his dynamics to match/blend with the band. Music is supposed to be some sorta conversation between the band's members, right? It ain't no fun if one member is "screaming" during the conversation.
    ...and it doesn't matter if the music is meant to be played LOUD, either; intense/aggressiveness doesn't equal more decibels.
    FWIW, I played(recently, too)with a very LOUD guitarist...no fun beating myself & my bass to death.
  6. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I have had the Microbass and it was too small. I agree with what JimK says, but there is a lower limit. Sometimes some force is necessary to get good sound from a drumkit - not much for a good drummer, but a little more than what matches Microbass level I think. Depends on music style and the drummers technical abilities also.

Another factor is the sound quality when such a small amp is squeezed way over the top.

To quiet the drums? Maybe tape them down heavily and use plastic brushes or lighter stics?

The last rock band I played in was loud. I would seriously demand a volume reduction when I no longer heard the drums :)!
  7. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    That little Peavey is a great practice amp, but that's where it ends. It's time to move up to the next level.
  8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'm on the side of those who say if you want to be in a band that has drums, you will need to have a rig capable of being heard over the drums. The same holds true for your guitarist. Practice amps are for private practice, not band situations.

I don't believe your drummer will want to always rehearse softly. He may NEVER want to rehearse

Consider buying good used equipment if you can't afford new sound equipment that has the capacity you require.
  9. Make him bang on coffee cans and pots. Or put blankets and towels in his drums
  10. So you wanna know why drummers are so loud? Read this from a thread i started a few weeks ago.

The Life and Art of Bass Playing
    by Tony Levin
    In the beginning there was a bass. It was a Fender, probably a Precision,
    but it could have been a Jazz - nobody knows. Anyway, it was very old ...
    definitely pre-C.B.S.
    And God looked down upon it and saw that it was good. He saw that it was
    very good in fact, and couldn't be improved on at all (though men would
    later try.) And so He let it be and He created a man to play the bass.
    And lo the man looked upon the bass, which was a beautiful 'sunburst' red,
    And he loved it. He played upon the open E string and the note rang through
    the earth and reverberated throughout the firmaments (thus reverb came to
    be.) And it was good. And God heard that it was good and He smiled at his
    Then in the course of time, the man came to slap upon the bass. And lo it
    was funky. And God heard this funkiness and He said, "Go man, go." And it
    was good.
    And more time passed, and, having little else to do, the man came to
    practice upon the bass. And lo, the man came to have upon him a great set of
    chops. And he did play faster and faster until the notes rippled like a
    Breeze through the heavens.
    And God heard this sound which sounded something like the wind, which He had
    created earlier. It also sounded something like the movement of furniture,
    which He hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased. And He spoke
    to the man, saying "Don't do that!"
    Now the man heard the voice of God, but he was so excited about his new
    ability that he slapped upon the bass a blizzard of funky notes. And the
    heavens shook with the sound, and the Angels ran about in confusion. (Some
    of the Angels started to dance, but that's another story.)
    And God heard this - how could He miss it - and lo He became Bugged. And He
    spoke to the man, and He said, "Listen man, if I wanted Jimi Hendrix I would
    have created the guitar. Stick to the bass parts."
    And the man heard the voice of God, and he knew not to mess with it. But now
    he had upon him a passion for playing fast and high. The man took the frets
    off of the bass which God had created. And the man did slide his fingers
    upon the fretless fingerboard and play melodies high upon the neck. And,
    in his excitement, the man did forget the commandment of the Lord, and he
    played a frenzy of high melodies and blindingly fast licks. And the heavens
    rocked with the assault and the earth shook, rattled and rolled.
    Now God's wrath was great. And His voice was thunder as He spoke to the man.
    And He said, "O.K. for you, pal. You have not heeded My word. Lo, I shall
    create a soprano saxophone and it shall play higher than you can even think
    "And from out of the chaos I shall bring forth the drums. And they shall
    play so many notes thine head shall ache, and I shall make you to always
    stand next to the drummer."
    "You think you're loud? I shall create a stack of Marshall guitar amps to
    make thine ears bleed. And I shall send down upon the earth other
    instruments, and lo, they shall all be able to play higher and faster than
    the bass."
    "And for all the days of man, your curse shall be this; that all the other
    musicians shall look to you, the bass player, for the low notes. And if you
    play too high or fast all the other musicians shall say "Wow" but really
    they shall hate it. And they shall tell you you're ready for your solo
    career, and find other bass players for their bands. And for all your days
    if you want to play your fancy licks you shall have to sneak them in like a
    thief in the night."
    "And if you finally do get to play a solo, everyone shall leave the
    bandstand and go to the bar for a drink."
    And it was so.
  11. I suppose since my amp is so small I could just put it on my shoudler next to my ear while I play. Seriously though, while I don't think our drummer will go for having a tarp put over his drum kit or anything he probably wouldn't have a problem with different drum sticks. Anyone know what drum sticks he would have to buy to get, say, half the volume?
  12. Well, he would have to play with brushes or those sticks that look like a bunch of toothpicks tied together (not sure what they're called), but I really doubt he'd want to use them, plus it changes the sound of the kit too much to play rock.

You really need to get a bigger amp; if you're committed to the bass, you'll need one eventually...actually, 'eventually' has arrived if you're in a band!

It's like learning how to play baseball with a whiffle bat, and then trying to use that bat when you start playing in a league, you can't expect everyone else to start using whiffle bats to accomodate you!
  13. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, but...

I remember my first garage band; I had a Univox amp with a 1x15 cab...good amp, but not really "loud" enough for a then-teenage Rocker wannabe. So whadda ya do? I saved my milk money for months & then bought a used Fender Bassman amp...but that was months later.
    Really, the drummer adapted 'cause that's what they're supposed to do(the "good" ones, anyway).
  14. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    those tooth pick things are called hot rods.
    I don't know who makes them though. They're about 2/3 normal volume, but sound similar to real sticks, they don't sound like brushes.
  15. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Jim you were a teenager once? Wow! What was it like during the Great Depression? :D:D
  16. Yeah, they don't sound like brushes, but they're definitely not good for rock music, they sound like jazz or carribbean or something.
  17. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Being both a bassist AND a former drummer (hey, lot's of people have multiple handicaps! ;)), I have been on both ends of the equation. Our drummer uses Vdrums, and sometimes I CAN"T hear him! The amps are holding you guys back though, but the drummer does need to be more aware of the dynamics as well. If you can learn to lock in with him at your current low volume levels, you've got a leg up when you can upgrade to a Marshall-bashing, Drum-thrashing, make-their-bowels-move-involuntarily bass rig!
  18. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I'll get ya for that!
    (Find those cds, yet?!) ;)