1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Drums only backing tracks specific songs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Jenny Skittles, Feb 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jenny Skittles

Jenny Skittles

Jan 31, 2018
    Does anyone have a resource, like a drums only person who posts on youtube, with drum tracks for specific songs? Looking for someone actually covering a song where you cannot hear (or very minimally hear) any other instruments, especially the bass. Need something to practice with where I can only hear what I am playing on top of it.

Genres I'm interested in are rock, funk, beatles/stones, grateful dead.

Any links would be helpful as they may lead to others. Thanks!

2. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    isolated drums - YouTube

drums only - YouTube

You may want to add your favorite groups name first:

rolling stones isolated drums
    beatles drums only

Good luck finding the Stones or Beatles on the Tube though, yet it can be done.

You gotta be persistent on a daily basis, as sometimes you can find a new download before it gets quickly yanked.

Granted playing with a live drummer w/wo the rest of the band is the best, as you not only play off the bass drum but their fills as well, then hopefully of course they get inspired by you and if you're lucky, they in turn start playing off you as well.

After that I would say go for the isolated tracks on the tube, as you can still play off their whole kit, it's just that they can't play off you.

Your next best bet is a metronome, and don't let anyone tell you any differently.

If they try to dissuade you, they('ve):
    • Don't know any better
    • Don't want you to get any better, even if they live on the opposite side of the planet, or are into an entirely different style of music
    • Want you to take lessons from them
    • Never heard a James Jamerson recording.
    There are many songs (#1 hits as well) he's played on wherein the drummer is mundanely hitting quarter notes only, not just on the snare, but on the bass pedal as well throughout the whole song sometimes, and look what he came up with because of it.

Survey says..............that's the same as a metronome...get my point?

I've even seen some well known bands with accomplished bassists live that have the drummer tapping out those quarter notes with hand and foot on either the snare or closed hi-hat only, while the accomplished bassist is taking a lengthy solo (and also of course while the rest of the band is in the parking lot getting reinscopulated some of the time!).

Even if you find your favorite isolated drum parts on the tube, I would also play them on the metronome-only, and quite frequently.

Remember, the metronome is a bassists and even a drummers best friend.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Jenny Skittles likes this.
  3. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Try midi tracks. The great thing is you can do whatever you want with it. Change key, tempo, change parts, mute the bass, put your own bass line and play along.

Jenny Skittles likes this.