1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

drums via bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bullT, Jul 25, 2007.

1. bullT

bullT

Jan 17, 2006
    could I play the drums with my bass via midi?

I was thinking about it , right now, what do you think? useful or not?

with an alesis d4 could it be done?

regards
    Manuel Feal

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sure, anything that can send MIDI trigger signals can play any sound in a MIDI-controlled sound engine. Fun, sure; useful... maybe... NOTE: you have to have a MIDI pickup installed in your bass, or some sort of external pitch-MIDI convertor.

3. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    I have a MIDI guitar I run into a GR-1. One of the voices is drums and it works pretty well, but never tried it with a bass. The GK-3B is the pickup you might want for bass. Search MIDI bass and you will see many ideas.

4. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    agreed: it can be done, but probably not very useful

5. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    This would work better with a guitar than a bass, because pitch to MIDI systems operate more slowly on low frequencies than high (they need to see a couple cycles of the wave to determine its pitch, and it takes longer to unfold a couple cycles at 40Hz than at 800). A little tough on the groove.

In short, a MIDI bass *could* work as a drum controller, but not any better than low-cal baking works for potato chips.

If you really wanted to control drums from your bass, you'd be (a lot) better off attaching piezo triggers to your bass and tapping them.

6. bullT

bullT

Jan 17, 2006
    ok, good idea derrico, the piezo trigger like this:
    ?

they would be attached in the body of my bass? x.e?

7. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Hopefully not quite like that, ouch!

To make it more than a painful gimmick, seems like a player would need a Bill Clements left hand and a Futureman right hand. Either that, or trigger full bass lines or drum beat samples with some of the pads.:help:

8. bullT

bullT

Jan 17, 2006
    ok, I see....

The last questiĆ³n could it be done with the usual piezo bridge saddles? I mean, conect the usual piezo bass output, to a electric drum controller?

regards
    Manuel Feal