Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drums without drummer, Keyboards without...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by barroso, Oct 20, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    this thread is about one man band, home recording project and playing and recording with your computer all alone.

i'd like to know how do you create drums line (or in general record drums) and which software do you use.

same for keyboards and synth.

thanks!

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have a drum kit in my home studio and an old analogue drum machine. I had hoped to use Acid (the porgram) but never got around to it.

I have an old harmonium which I use for organ sounds. My guitar sounds are quite dense and I tend to write on guitar or bass abd transfer ideas from one to the other.

3. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    A good beginning drum program is Fruity Loops, you can get a demo for free. There are a lot of programs out there, but lately I have been getting into Reason by Propellerhead.
    Most of these programs have free demos..so jsut try and see which one you like best.

4. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    My current drum love is some guy who records loops on a electronic kit and posts them at www.e-drummer.net (or something like that). Better sounding than my drum machine, etc. Only problem is its a pain if you don't like the loop as played. But it's also free.

5. BigTed

BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    I too use Reason. Its got a cool loop player and it also has a pattern based drum machine. It comes with a plethora of well sampled drum sounds as well. For keyboard, I use an oxygen8 Midi controller with Reason synths (via ReWire to Cubase) or numerous VSTi's in Cubase SX.

I dont have a current band, and as I grow older it seems harder and harder to find people to jam with. My "virtual" one-man band comes in handy.

6. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    I use a program called hammerhead. It uses wav samples, which are easy to find to download, so it's easy to find decent sounding samples.

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    For drums, I use the SoundFont capability of my SoundBlaster Live! card and use a soundfont called "Blue Jay Small Ambient II", which is sold here. I program the drums note for note in a piece of notation software which can be found here. A very time-consuming process which I don't really recommend, but I have total control.