Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by The_Bass, Dec 24, 2000.

1. has anyone tried playing their bass with a drumstick?

I just tried it 3 days ago and it was pretty kewl!

btw: it´s x-mas and I´m a very happy man!! :D
  2. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Yeah, I tried it, but I didn´t inhale
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...ever seen/heard Tony Levin use "his" Funk Fingers?

On a somewhat related level, a drummer friend hipped me to thinking of my two plucking fingers as "drum sticks"...I would(& still do)practice paradiddles & bass drum/snare drum patterns with this mentality(I assign, say, my index finger as the kick & middle finger as the snare). If you find yourself in a rut, this "practice" could be something different to consider.
  4. I saw a local commercial for a hospital nearby and it showed some people dancing to some swing music and it cut to a view of drumsticks hitting the strings of an upright. Unfortunately they didn't show the guy's hands.

When I saw the B.B. King Bluesfest w/B.B., Buddy Guy, and Susan Tedeschi, Buddy Guy played his guitar with a drumstick, basically just screwing around. It was cool though.
  5. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    My drummer friend told me of a performance where one of his sticks flew out of his hands in the middle of a bass solo... and the bassist caught it in mid-air and proceeded to use it as a slide! Slide bass... funky stuff. Man, I wish I had been there. =)
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Scott Ambush and Dave Samuels of Spyro Gyra used to team up on bass solos; Ambush would fret his bass with his left hand, and Samuels would hammer the strings with his marimba mallets. Pretty cool stuff.
  7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Tony Levin did it with (I think) Manu catché in the song sledge hammer. You can hear only 8 bars of it though :(

I bought his funk fingers, but can't find a way to use them. Can you see me play china girl with funk fingers??
    that would be funny!
  8. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA

The best with Drum sticks is certainly Tony Levin. I saw him with ABWH in Montréal in 1989 and he played the entire concert plus his solos with the drumsticks. I tried it and it is cool if you like the bright and clean sound.

Too bad we do not see more Bass players playing that way.

9. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Some jazz band, ok the Bob Crosby band, did a tune back in the 30's that sounded a lot like upright slap, but was really the drummer hitting the upright strings and board. Sounded awsome. I think it was named after one of the lakes up that way. "Big Noise from Winnetka "

try this

[Edited by Rockinjc on 01-10-2001 at 06:14 PM]