1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drunk Band Members

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by AKthunderFUNK, May 20, 2019.

1. AKthunderFUNK

AKthunderFUNK

Feb 14, 2010
    Thunderfunk
    So as my drunk bandmembers flop a gig last night, my drunk buddy is like" dude let me play song." I'm like **** **, they were suckin anyways and they won't remember. So i let him take a song, as it's happening a good friend falls flat on her face(drunk), I had to resume but felt bad I did'nt help, should I feel bad or no my problem?? In both cases??

2. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Was anyone not drunk?

Broke, kobass, Kiril Basso and 18 others like this.
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

If that's your thing, have at it! I won't ever play drunk nor will I be in a band with drunks.

mcnach, Broke, steelbed45 and 51 others like this.
  4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Sounds pathetic.

Stormchaser, mcnach, kobass and 28 others like this.
  5. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Smurf Village
    video or it didn't happen

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I do love a good cold beer.

I have three at shows. One before, one for the first set, one for the second set. Period.

Getting drunk on stage is stupid. Getting face down on the dance floor drunk is also stupid.

Figure out what your "warm buzz" limit is. (Mine is about a six beers..... and I never EVER drive.) Do that a couple times a month when you're NOT working. I think that's fine. Pass out drunk or drunk at all while playing is dumb. I'm not a prude. But getting "hammered" is a young man's game. At 48, I might have to look down my nose a little a peers who get blistered drunk. :cool:

If it were my band, I would have to clamp down on it or leave the band. That's just me.

As for your friend on the dance floor, maybe have a chat with her about it. Ultimately, it's her choice.

7. Not a cool scene at all.

kobass, JaseyT, Pbassmanca and 7 others like this.
  8. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Allowsing the affluence of incahol is a no gooder. :p

Tank you fer yur indullments,

BassCliff

9. :laugh::laugh::laugh: Lmao I was thinking the same thing

Feel bad about what? It's their personal responsibility. Now if it was you, then yeah, feel like garbage. Sure, everyone has moments where they had a few too many but if is habitual and becoming embarrasing, then move on. If they are reasonable, make it clear it has to change.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  10. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    On the band front - it depends on how self aware they are. I personally remember every time that I've had just a bit too much during a gig and where the show suffered for it, even a little. Two particular nights come to mind, and while I might not have been full out blatto, the fact that it significantly disrupted my playing is a strong deterrent to avoid it at all costs in the future. That is not a fun feeling.

So, if your bandmates are able to reflect and come to a similar conclusion (as my bandmates tend to be) it's a self righting situation - as the punishment is worse than the offense.

If not... then it might be something that needs to be discussed in a respectful manner.

As for your female friend, were there others there to step in and assist? If so, then I'd say you were in the right to keep the show moving forward.

11. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007

12. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Lol. They flopped the gig because they were too drunk? In my experience, I’d have to be pretty messed up to play THAT bad. That’d be my last gig with them that’s for sure.

13. ItsmeSantiago

ItsmeSantiago Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2015
    If you’re a working band, or want to be, workplace rules apply. Don’t show up late, don’t show up messed up, and come ready to go.

14. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Try scheduling your next gig at an AA meeting...

kobass, Ks68jazz, mmmmmmmmm and 17 others like this.
  15. Nope.

Spidey2112 and bolophonic like this.
  16. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Everyone has rights to take some, but till the control ends.

17. Lava

Lava Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    All these threads about being plastered at a gig and sounding terrible leads me to the question - are these bands being paid?
    We play most venues several times a year and if we ever bombed a gig due to being drunk, we wouldn't be able to book another show there. I've quit some bands early on when I saw that problem on the horizon, you'll see it at the first couple of rehearsals, and sure enough most of those bands don't end up getting hired at any serious venues.

whero, Winoman, Mr_Moo and 2 others like this.
  18. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    Do a solo gig:

Mr_Moo, Pbassmanca and landrybass like this.
  19. ToneMaven

ToneMaven

Dec 22, 2018
    Wow. Band members are drunks, and good friends are face-planting drunks. Sounds like you need to make better choices in your associations. Ditch all of them and surround yourself with better people who will lift you up.

20. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    You sound proud of this. Very sad.
    We have a name for musicians who drink to excess here. Unemployed.

five7, kobass, ERIC31 and 14 others like this.