Drunk guitar player

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Mantis Tobaggan, Aug 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Last night, guitar player drank too much while we were waiting to go on. At one point, he stepped on his guitar cable and pulled it out and couldn't figure out why he wasn't making sound. Then he figured it out and was off all night. Wrong notes, bad timing. The rest of the band was spot on and it may he partly because i was right next to him and his rig that it stood out to me. We have another guitar player fortunately and the crowd was responding well. He apologized to everyone at the end of the night. I live in a different town and had to drive 2 hours both ways and could have spent the weekend with my girlfriend at the beach. Not to mention last weekend when i drove out there to rehearse. Kinda ticked. Our next gig is in five weeks and I definitely have some thinking to do. This is a hobby and I got paid with free beer last night. Usually, I love gigs and have a blast but that one was kind of a dud. When he apologized the other guitar player said he couldn't tell and no one really said anything more, including myself, I let it go but damn... kinda bummed.

Jimmy4string, Duder, Wisebass and 4 others like this.
  2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Unless you think this is an isolated incident, time for a band discussion. If he wants to get toasted after gigs, that is his business. During gigs is everyone's business. No excuses.

Separate thought. No one noticed - maybe you don't need a second guitar.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  3. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I assume you don't know whether this is an isolated incident or not, or you would have said so. If you don't know, I would give him another chance. The fact that he apologized afterwards seems like a good sign. (The fact that other band members didn't notice or care, however, is probably a bad sign.)

In any case it's probably worth thinking more about whether you want to travel two hours each way for rehearsals, only to get gigs that don't even pay for your gas.

smogg and andruca like this.
  4. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    No he usually gets toasted after shows but this hasnt happened in the six years i have been in the band. I heard it happened once before i joined.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I've never understood why people find intoxication more fun than playing on stage. Use your judgement.

6. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    I have a project that is more local, trying to get it off the ground.

Duder, Wisebass, smogg and 2 others like this.
  7. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    It sounds like maybe an isolated incident. He did apologize so he knows it was wrong. I would definitely do the next gig in 5 weeks....
    Maybe even talk to him quickly before the show.......

8. Lobster11

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Tell me if I'm reading too much into this, but it sounds to me like you are generally dissatisfied with your situation -- e.g., having to travel so much and sacrifice time with your girlfriend -- and so you are looking for an excuse to quit and focus on your new local project. A guitarist getting drunk before a show one time in six years is in itself no good reason to quit, but it could be the proverbial last straw if there is already a big pile of straws. No?

9. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Yeah in a way, I am kinda just hanging on. I moved to a new town and basically just warm up and show up to gig and it works fine. The gigs are usually pretty fun but it is kind of a pain driving out there. I live in Saint Pete, work in Tampa, and the band is in Orlando. The gigs so far have been in Orlando on saturdays. They have been very accommodating with me relocating but it is annoying to drive all this way for something like this to happen.

Wisebass and Spidey2112 like this.
  10. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Someone should have spoken up & said "Don't let it happen again!".

11. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Usually a cure for this type of thing is for someone to record (video/audio) some of the show and then play it back to him when he's sober. :thumbsup:

12. Lobster11

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Here's my take: You are doing this just for fun, which means that the gig has to be so much fun that it outweighs all the not-fun costs such as driving time and missed beach dates. Those costs are pretty substantial, which means that the gig has to be WAY fun. If anything goes wrong -- at the gig, or on the drive to or fro -- the balance is tipped and it won't feel like it was worthwhile. This is not a sustainable situation, as some things will inevitably go wrong from time to time, so it's good that you're working on lining up an alternative that hopefully will be just as much fun, but with fewer/smaller costs.

andruca, Richie Se7en, Honch and 3 others like this.
  13. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    That's a heckuva drive from St. Pete to O-town just for 'free' beer. Gas alone you're probably paying for a couple of six-packs already.

14. jmw1977

jmw1977 Guest

Mar 27, 2013
    Yeah, 4 hours round trip for free beer and a village idiot performance from one of your guitar players is lame. Unless your band got great exposure, which doesn't sound like the case, I'd be having a conversation with that guy.

Btw, when I began reading your story, it brought me back to a band I played with back in 2007. The guitarist in that band did the exact same thing: got sloppy on a gig, pulled out his cable by stepping on it, forgot parts to songs, etc. It was mortifying and NOT an isolated incident.

15. getrhythm

getrhythm

Nov 2, 2015
    New Jersey
    You did all that driving and suffered that fool just for free beer?!
    I would not have.

Winston Hunte and Joedog like this.
  16. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    You got it right. If the gig goes well, I don't mind. As soon as something goes wrong, I regret the whole thing. Mostly the gigs have been worth it. This was the last one before last night:

IMG_3085.JPG

The getting paid thing is a whole different topic.

17. 4 hrs of driving is a lot for a gig. My band drove an hour each way last night for a last minute gig and that was kinda pushing it but still a good time.
    If you still want to play, you could always talk to him. Sounds like he knows he screwed up but you could tell him you can't be wasting your time. 1-2 drinks is doable much more and it can really effect playing ability.

18. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I've been that guy. I got too tipsy waiting for a gig to start, and my playing suffered. The singer of the band had a talk with me, after that show and it hit home. It wasn't a problem again.

19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I remember the days when drinking was smart and sophisticated not the ugly thing it is now.

20. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    Fire his ass now!!!

If your band gets the reputation of playing drunk none of the bars will hire you.

Winston Hunte likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021